Cell Number Formatting Is Not Functioning Correctly

In calc, i have my cells in the number format of -1234.56. For some reason when I sort the values ascending/descending with the auto-filter sorts based on the first number, not the total numerical value. so 9 is greater than 10, 8 is = to 80, and so on.

Additionally this is making conditional formatting not function correctly.

Your numbers are no numbers at all. What you have is the text “-1234.56” (dash, 4 digits, point, 2 digits).
Number formats do not apply to text.
Text is sorted alphabetically.

1 Like

they are numbers. the conditional formatting works on some numbers and not on others. they values are tied to funcitons and I have made sure those were also numbers.

I copied and pasted the numbers into a new worksheet and there is a hidden apostrophe character in the cells that are not registering as numbers. So now I just have to figure out how to replace hidden characters cause the Find and Replace function isn’t working on it and the Data>Text To Columns function can’t be accessed either

Didnt work.
\
EDIT:

NVM figured it out, I think

Please upload your file to establish the truth.

For future reference you can use Value Highlighting to determine the type of data in your cells.

your setting of sorted criterion is: “numeral digit.” while computer programm function can only count like this: 0, 1, 10, 100, …, 2, 20, 200, …, 3, 30, 300. and so on. set the sorted criterion to “-undifined-” or “numeral math.”.