Change Font in all text boxes at once in Writer

Hello,

I am trying to select and change all of the text boxes within a document to be uniform in size and font. In word, this is possible by hitting ctrl+h, going to find, adding ^? in the parameters and then selecting from the “Find in” drop menu and selecting “Text boxes in main document”. It then allows you to change font attributes in all boxes at once. The “find in” drop down menu isn’t available in this command box in libreoffice, and was wondering if the function is even available or is it somewhere else and can’t find it? Theres almost 400 text boxes in this document and I cannot even fathom doing it one by one. If it is not currently available, are there any plans to add it in? version 24.2.x

What is your “semantic” usage of text boxes? By “semantic” I mean: are they related to your main discourse or simple arbitrary “decorations”?

In Writer, text boxes (if you really used such objects) are drawing objects, i.e. graphical shapes, which live in another space. They have minimal interaction with text and are totally estranged to the Writer style system, partly because they are Draw objects.

If your boxes contents should be formatted with some similarity to your text, then insert frames. FFrames are kind of sub-documents. They constitute secondary flows which are known to Writer. They can be fully styled or formatted; they can be searched by Find or Find & Replace, …

All you have to do is to style consistently frame contents. By default the applied paragraph style is Frame Contents. Customise this style and all your frames will change instantly.

I only hope your document is neither a DOCX nor has ever been in contact with M$ Word. If this is the case, you’re doomed to restart from scratch to eliminate the mess caused by the conversion.

These are documents I created in Libre office, not in word, but the function is available in word so was wondering if it was the same in writer since it seems to be close to the same. I do actually use text boxes. I use writer almost like a graphics/writing overlay program, its the easiest way I’ve figured out to get images perfectly lined up with text over top, multiple on a page to reduce waste with everything where I want it/uniform/evenly spaced etc, without the images moving all over the page. I’m not a professional, just trying to make classroom games and flash cards more efficiently. Not sure what other programs are out there that I can use to do this, but some images have upwards of 15 boxes on them. Tried in excel so i could just change a grouping of cells all at once but it didn’t work out for me

It depends on the importance of text. If it is a full narrative where flow from one page to the next is important (it is the thread of the story), you definitely need Writer.

But, if text is just some kind of caption or label for the images, you could have a try with Draw. In Draw text boxes and all other shapes can have a style. Then you customise the properties of the style and all shapes controlled by the style immediately reflect the new configuration.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll have a go with that and see if I can make that work instead. Thanks so much for your help