Change RTF image storage format?

Hi
Is there a way to influence the way LO stores images RTF files?
I want the RTF to be able to open in wordpad with the “blocked content prompt”.
So I think the image must be stored as WMF only…

"
From Wikipedia:

RTF supports inclusion of JPEG, PNG, Enhanced Metafile (EMF), Windows Metafile (WMF), Apple PICT, Windows device-dependent bitmap, Windows device-independent bitmap and OS/2 Metafile picture types in hexadecimal (the default) or binary format in a RTF file. Not all of these picture types are supported in all RTF readers, however. When a RTF document is opened in software that does not support the picture type of an inserted picture, the picture is not displayed. RTF writers usually either convert an inserted picture in an unsupported picture type to one in a supported picture type, or do not include picture at all.

For better compatibility with Microsoft products, some RTF writers include the same picture in two different picture types in one RTF file: one supported picture type to display, and one uncompressed WMF copy of the original picture to improve compatibility with some Microsoft applications like Wordpad.[47]

This method increases the RTF file size dramatically. The RTF specification does not require this method, and several implementations do not include the WMF copy (e.g. Abiword or Ted).
"

Regards
Thomas

The RTF is a very old, never standardized, abandoned file format. Do not use it. It has many-many versions and sub-versions even with undocumented properties…

1 Like

Old, for sure. Specifications were published until 2008 when Microsoft stopped developing it. Since it’s a Microsoft format, the default format in WordPad, supported as an export format in Microsoft Office and cross-platform Google Docs, LibreOffice and friends, and used in actively developed format conversion libraries such as RtfPipe and RtfToHtml, I would say it’s hardly abandoned. I use it to save rich text documents created in Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, or Google Docs to single files (with embedded bitmap and vector images) that are then converted to single-string HTML. I would like an option to disable embedding the WPF duplicate of an image as the WPF format if Windows-specific.