Changing nullability of column fails

Good Afternoon,

I am trying to run the following DDL statement to change two columns from NULL to NOT NULL. The code runs, but the columns

• TBL_W_WELL.ACCESS_NUM
  • TBL_W_WELL.ANLS_DATE
    are not changed from NULL to NOT NULL
executeDDL("EXECUTE BLOCK AS BEGIN IF (EXISTS( SELECT 0 FROM RDB$RELATION_CONSTRAINTS WHERE RDB$CONSTRAINT_NAME = 'PK_WATER_LEVEL' )) THEN EXECUTE STATEMENT 'ALTER TABLE WATER_LEVEL DROP CONSTRAINT PK_WATER_LEVEL'; END")
executeDDL("ALTER TABLE TBL_W_WELL DROP ACCESS_NUM")
executeDDL("ALTER TABLE TBL_W_WELL DROP ANLS_DATE ")
executeDDL("ALTER TABLE TBL_W_WELL ADD ACCESS_NUMINTEGER")
executeDDL("ALTER TABLE TBL_W_WELL ADD ANLS_DATE TIMESTAMP")	
executeDDL("ALTER TABLE TBL_W_WELL ADD CONSTRAINT PK_TBL_W_WELL PRIMARY KEY (ID)")	
---------
executeDDL("ALTER TABLE TBL_W_WELL ALTER ACCESS_NUM SET NOT NULL")
executeDDL("ALTER TABLE TBL_W_WELL ALTER ANLS_DATE SET NOT NULL")

Sub executeDDL(ddl As String)
Dim locStmt As Object
REM locCon is made in a seperate Sub - this is a connection to the embedded firebird database.
	locStmt= locCon.createStatement()
	locStmt.execute(ddl)
	closeDBObject(locStmt)	
End Sub

Sub closeDBObject(dbObject As Object)
	dbObject.close()
	dbObject = Nothing
End Sub

If the column in question has Null values, you can’t set it to NOT NULL. Either you delete the Null records or you fill them with an UPDATE statement.

Hello

The use case that I am implementing is that the columns are not modified until all the data are filled or the table is empty.

Might be I doesn’t understand, but in row 2 and 3 you drop the same fields you will later set to NOT NULL.

That is correct. When I manually set them to NOT NULL, for some reason they do not get changed to NULL through code. So the alternative was to drop the column and re-add it.