Character style to unbold

I apply a paragraph style which specifies bold. Now I wish to include individual non-bolded characters within this paragraph. I create a character style and apply it to these characters. They still display bold. My character style overrides the paragraph style for font type, italics, but it won’t remove the bold attribute. Is there a way to do this without resorting to direct formatting?

Save format is odt.

Thanks

Version: 7.4.3.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 1048a8393ae2eeec98dff31b5c133c5f1d08b890
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (en_GB); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

1 Like

First set the character style to Bold and Italic and save.
Then click Modify and select Italic only.

1 Like

That really works. LOL. Thanks

1 Like

Bold “attribute” is in fact a variant of the font face. So, you don’t request the application of an attribute, but you give some guidance to Writer to choose between several variants.

Matter is somehow complicated because “bold” is not a mere binary attribute. Many professional fonts provide a continuum of “grease” thickness. I think in particular of Univers. In addition, font designer don’t always name this “attribute” bold and may give it a different name like Heavy.

Anyway, in the Font tab of the character style, you must force Regular in the configuration. And this is where things go awry. When you create you character style, font face is inherited from Tools>Options, LibreOffice Writer>Basic Fonts (Western), but is “ineffective” until you really select one (this is a “transparent” state valid for any font active at the moment you apply the character style). Similarly, “Style” is displayed as Regular but is also in “transparent” state.

The “standard” way to force a parameter is to act on it. To make sure, you’d select a value like Italic, save the style, then modify it to Regular to make sure the forced value is taken into account.

But, unfortunately, for a reson unknow to myself, choosing Regular seems to be equivalent to pressing Reset to Parent. IMHO this is bug.

However I found a workaround:

1. create your style with Italic Style so that it is not empty (this seems to be the key factor)
  2. reopen your style to modify it
    • select Regular from the Style
    • press Apply (take care your cursor is located in a “safe” area or the selected text is the one to receive the styling)
      However, from repeated trials, not sure this is really necessary
    • press now OK

The Organizer tab now shows your style definition as “Not xxx+normal” where xxx is the “attribute” you set in the first step.

I think this bad behaviour began when italic and bold were no longer treated as binary attributes and transferred to font variants.

Here LO 7.5.2.2, Fedora 38.

EDIT:
Bug report tdf#155113

1 Like