Character styles disabled!

While working on an answer to a question on this site, I botched my LO Writer configuration and now no character style has any visible effect although icons in the toolbar show they have apparently been applied. Only direct formatting works.

If I switch to another account or if I restart in safe mode, everything is fine.

I was playing with text direct formatting and simultaneously pressed the down-pointing triangle at right of style side pane toolbar to see the menu with New Style from Selection, … Unfortunately, at some time, I pressed the + icon and things went awry.

Is there a way to recover character style effects apart from wiping my user profile?

The only way would be to backup the profile, then try to bisect which setting(s) breaks it - and then file a bug.

1 Like

Ok @mikekaganski I’ll try this in the afternoon.

Sorry to hear that. No good deed goes unpunished.

I had something similar a couple of years ago. Now I use only a parallel installation for ask.libreoffice questions, not my working version

1 Like

This is not a solution but an explanation.

The behaviour is clearly a bug: tdf#154289.

From my investigation, as soon as you enable Tools>Options, LibreOffice Writer>View Show outline-folding buttons in Outline folding, character style applications are no longer recorded into your document until you disable folding buttons.

Until this is fixed, don’t use outline folding while styling. You can enable it afterwards but it is presently incompatible with character styles.

3 Likes