Charts disappeared on saving in .ods and .xlsx formats

version 7.1.5.2 on Windows 10.
Created about 20 pie charts in a worksheet, using data from 12 other worksheets-- all in the same spreadsheet. During 2 weeks or so of development, for safety as a matter of course, I saved in both ods and xlsx formats. Charts were OK on saving and reopening multiple times during several days of building and editing the spreadsheet. But after a couple of days of rest on reopening, charts are not there anymore in both versions! The data tables are there, but it is too much work to recreate charts and annotate, etc. Is recovering possible? If not, what should i do in future so that it is not repeated?

It could be a compatibility problem between ODS and XLSX.
Maybe you opened an XLSX and saved it again as ODS?

Basically:

Recommendation for clean working with LibreOffice when different Office programs are used.
Always create and save your files in LibreOffice and save them in ODF format (ODT, ODS, etc.).
Always keep these files as their source.
If you need other formats for distribution to partners, you can open an ODF file and save and distribute another format with ″ Save as… ″.
This way, you always have working files available in your system environment.

See:

Edit different file formats in LibreOffice

'-------------------------

Please report the behavior as a bug in Bugzilla .

See also:

How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice Please announce the link from the bug here.
To do this, edit your initial question. Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, while working to develop the spreadsheet, I did save interchangeably between ods and xslx formats several times during the day so as to always have a backup copy that was current. And at the end of the day I used to save both versions using “Save As…”. This never gave an issue. But now charts have disappeared from both versions.
Guess I will have to report as a bug.

1 Like

Wow! A workflow to guarantee errors.
See this OpenOffice tutorial on the differences between Microsoft and open document format
Always save in native format and if you do need to export in another format, do it from your completed copy. Note that you can Save a copy
Cheers, Al

Thanks for the tutorial. Being only a 2 -months-long user, I had assumed LibreOffice datafiles were fully compatible with MS Office. Rather a hard way to find out it is not!

Fully compatible with MS Office is a feat that even Microsoft cannot fully manage. You might care to read Wikipedia article on Office Open XML. Cheers, Al
Oh, and maybe Microsoft Office XML formats