check if cell was referenced on another sheet

Hi,

i have two sheets in one calc document. I know how to reference cells from the first sheet in the second sheet via: =FirstSheet.$Column$Row .

I search for a way to indicate the referenced cells directly on the first sheet, so that i know what cells are already referenced. Is this possible somehow?

How do you think might the “indication” look? Should there be a list (up to some million entries)? Should corresponding cells be coloured - how to use them for other purposes then? What range should be watched? Or …?

Through Menu/Tools/Detective/Trace dependants, but works cell by cell. I haven’t found a way to do it with conditional formatting, because FORMULA() doesn’t work with matrix.

A specific background-color of the cell which is referenced would be a nice indication. The detective doesn’t work when the reference is on another sheet than the original cell (LibreOffice 4.2.2.1 on Linux).

Sorry! Didn’t want to announce a solution. Tried to explain: “Won’t work IMO”.

On the other hand: There has to be a notification system in the background triggering recalculation of formulae concerned by changements in referenced cells. “… formula, then it should be recalculated whenever one of its predecessors it depends on changes.” The recalculation engine must know a lot. I doubt, though, whether it might be capable of easily fulfilling your dreams.

Thanks for your opinion / explanation. At least the detective would be another acceptable solution, but sadly this feature don’t work across different sheets. Anyway, i look forward to it.