Coloring Cells not functioning?

I’m using Calc 7.5.3.2 on Windows 11. I can’t get the cells to change color. Using the Dropdown menu at top of page to change color, and the color doesn’t change.

I have found that if a cell is populated and I right-click it, as to edit it, the color appears, but does not display when leaving the cell.

I’ve tried all the options under menu items: Format, Styles, and Sheet with no results.

I haven’t seen any topic in the Help documents except the instructions to use what I’ve tried.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this issue?
Thank you
dmend

Use the Cell Styles instead of the direct (manual) formatting method.
And please upload a small, ODF type sample file here.

Welcome @dmend !
Perhaps you accidentally pressed Ctrl+F8 and thereby turned on the Value Highlighting mode?

2 Likes

If the sheet is protected, and Value Highlighting is set, unprotected cells are shown with the default background color (protected cells with gray background color), but text/numbers/formulas are shown in the corresponding value highlight (black, blue, green).
There could be some conditional formatting (less probably), or an issue with the user profile (most probably).
@dmend, try in Safe Mode.
By the way, don’t use Answers to comments or questions.
For a better approach to the problem, share a copy of the file (anonymized). Thanks.

I think I’m asking the wrong question.
What I would like to see on the spreadsheet is cell A1 displaying a color other than white. When I set a color for an active cell (where cursor is) that color only displays if I am typing. As soon as I leave that cell the color returns to white. The text displays in the cell. I can change the text colors, that works.
Thank you.
dmend

So what happened when you tried Ctrl+F8 (or View - Value highlighting)?

I have updated the program to current version 7.6.1.2.

There is no change to the spreadsheet after pressing CRL+F8, or using the menu: View/Value Highlighting. The cells that are assigned colors are displaying white.

dmend

As requested, please attach a sample file, editing your question.

it is happening for ubuntu high contrast mode

And that is what high contrast mode in LibreOffice does. You can disable high contrast for LibreOffice only.

See help, Accessibility