Colors change when copying sheets between files

I have a Calc file with sheets which serve as templates for a weekly scheduler spreadsheet. I routinely copy the template sheets into the actual scheduler file. Very recently, I started getting color changes in the cell text contents and backgrounds which render many cells unreadable. Color is critical to usage of the template.

I cannot find the cause of this. I use the copy sheet function to copy the template sheets into the scheduler spreadsheet. There are no options in this function that I can see which would cause this color change.

I have tried manual copy/paste, paste special, as well as the sheet copy function - the result is the identical. Manual correction of these unwanted color changes is a) too much work to be feasible - and doing it upon every template copy is absurd; b) often impossible anyway - the fonts refuse to change color.

The one clue I can offer is that if I copy a template sheet into a wholly new spreadsheet the copy goes as expected - no color changes occur. This strongly suggests that something has changed in my schedule spreadsheet which is forcing these color changes to occur - but what?

I am baffled as to what to do next. I cannot fix a problem I can’t diagnose.

Any troubleshooting ideas suggested would be welcome.

UPDATE: I am copying the entire scheduler, with its many individual sheets, into a wholly new spreadsheet file. All the correct colors are restored. A nifty solution. Now…can we find what caused the problem, so that it doesn’t happen again?

L.O. specs:

Version: 24.2.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:2)
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 6.8; UI render: default; VCL: kf5 (cairo+xcb)
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 4:24.2.4-0ubuntu0.24.04.2
Calc: threaded

System specs:

Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.13
Kernel Version: 6.8.0-39-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 39.0 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Xe Graphics
Manufacturer: System76
Product Name: Galago Pro
System Version: galp5

Are you working with styles? Are they equal in both files?

No, you have bypassed the error so that everything is fine again.
This acts like an intermittent error.
And errors that are no longer present cannot be investigated and rectified.

If do you share your faulty template and a scheduler… But first, remove all sensible data.

Abandonned! For multiple reasons, I have replaced my Pop!_OS with Kubuntu (a huge improvement). Now many problems have just vanished, and LibreOffice Calc has never worked better.

Thanks to the three of you who responded. This forum continues to be remarkable in its helpfulness and quick response time!

1 Like

I see three comments by two users. Maybe someone deleted his/her comment.
Good to read that now you can work better. Regards.