Column width changes after saving

Good morning fellow LibreOfficers,

I have an issue I’d like to get resolved (because it is inflaming my neurotic nature).

When I set the column widths to my preference they keep changing just a little bit everytime I save the sheet.

Working in native ODS on a windows 11.

Version: 7.2.6.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: b0ec3a565991f7569a5a7f5d24fed7f52653d754
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: nl-NL (en_NL); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Help much appreciated.

Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?

Please give us some details: the size what you set in milimeters or inches.

The resolution of the sizes in the LibreOffice is 0.01 mm maybe there are rounded values when you uses non-SI units.

Please specify which file type you use for saving. E.g., in MS Excel format, column width is measured in a wonderful “width on number character in the file’s default font (Normal style)” units. These units can’t be reliably converted to/from normal “cm/in/whatever” units; and also the stored width include “5 screen pixel” surplus for inter-column borders. All that makes it ~impossible to round-trip exact column widths when saving to Excel formats.

Example.ods (14.3 KB)

I am using metric values.

I uploaded a copy of the spreadsheet (removed most of the sheets & all sensitive information).

Using ODS.

Using the cm as the unit: Do you see 4 decimals when the column widths or row heights are displayed?
If so you are using a version not rounding the value to a precision in a way hardening it against tiny changes due to “internal reality”. A version of the 7.3.x.y series should change that back to previous behaviour.

No I see 2 decimals:

Screenshot 2022-04-09 183340

I am sorry but I am not familiar with hardening and internal reality. I am using version 7.2.6.2 (x64).

Please describe where the problem is seen - which of the columns is set to what, and what you see after save-and-reload.

Well I set the columns to different widths. The most frequent width I use is 2,5 cm. After saving this then sometimes (but not always) changes by a little bit, say 2,4 something. I tried it a couple of times now with the example but frustatingly it now seems to be stable.

My words may have been chosen wrongly, and weren’t technical terms. Tiny changes might be caused by conversions (different units) and any internal details not presented to the user. The 4-decimals-values shown by some versions were of that kind, and caused misunderstandings.
Since this wasn’t the background of your question, I have no clue.

However, very strange behaviour of LibreOffice is sometimes caused by user-profile corruption.
See LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki. (Be careful. Backup your current user profile first!)