Comments are slowing down LibreOffice Writer - How to fix?

I am using LibreOffice 5.1.4.2 on Ubuntu 14.04. My document has 280 pages, a lot of tracked changes and many many comments. Scrolling and typing is incredible slow. The tracked changes are not the problem, if I delete all the comments everything is fast again. Even turning off the visibility of the comments does not fix the problem. I already changed memory settings but no change. Only deleting the comments solves the problem, however I need them to colaborate. Is there any way to fix this?

hello benemoto, welcome to the club (of people affected),

i observed a similar problem in calc, plenty comments produce massive system load and slowdowns just on hovering around with the mouse,

:frowning: :frowning: my workaround won’t work for you, i made a short test, the problem itself is very similar in calc and writer, just 36 lines with each 21 times the word ‘test’ commented ‘test’ nearly freezes a modern fast system, but the effect that it’s not occuring on a fresh loaded file - as i found in calc - is not! reproducible in writer, you have immense system load from the beginning :frowning: :frowning:

either poor implementation of comments in libreoffice or in the open document foundation’s file definition, or from unneccessary recursions or … or … or … i’d be very pleased and happy if somebody with skills takes a look and eradicates this evil.

pls. ask your colleagues if any of them has less problems,

eventually it’s worth a crosscheck with M$ Software ???

have fun,

b.

hello again,

just did a crosscheck,

Ex$el is still responsive with a file with 20.000 cells with comments, even on an old ThinkPad T500, even with the document saved as an *.ods file, even with the document saved after opening, even with an old Version of Excel (Home and Business 2010, ver. 14.0.7177.5000 32-bit).
That’s 7 times more ‘input’ than LO 6.3 can bear on a System 2 to 4 times faster.

Wo$d is … quite slow but still responsive … with 5 pages with 4713 times the word ‘Test’ commented as ‘Test’, in the above circumstances. Also as an *.ods file and so on.
That’s about 5 times more ‘input’ than LO 6.3 can bear on a System 2 to 4 times faster.

thus: the problem is not! depending on the file format, it must be the implementation how writer and calc handle comments … :frowning:

reg.

b.