Comments in calc have vanished again - 9 years after I posted about the same problem

Well the title pretty much sums it up. Opened the calc document I use every day, and on my main sheet all my comments have vanished. Other sheets are ok. As per the title I posted this exact problem 9 years ago (post) …seems like some bugs are resilient…a superbug, perhaps :roll_eyes:.
I’ve been trying to make the swap from Excel for years…this kind of problem makes it impossible. Gutted.

Version: 7.6.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 60(Build:2) / Linux

Can you explain the intentions behind this post?

• Are you still interested in helpful answers?
  • Do you just feel motivaterd for ranting?
  • Do you look for help concening a posible bug report?
  • Do you want to tell everybody that Excel has no bugs?
  • What else?
2 Likes

In order to fix a bug, the developer must understand under what conditions this bug occurs.
Try to remember and reproduce your actions that led to the disappearance of comments on one of the sheets.

I can assume that the comments were deleted after inadvertently executing a menu item

Menu / Sheet / Cell Comments / Delete All Comments

or equivalent keystrokes (this menu item is only visible if there is at least one comment on the sheet).
In my opinion, it is worth writing to Bugzilla that group deletion of comments should be done only after confirmation of this operation by the user.

@Lupp Answer “yes” to your first 3 bullet points…“no” to the last 2. I wont bother asking what your intentions were.

@sokol92 I only found the “Delete All Comments” option when I starting searching for a clue as to what had happened…didn’t even know it was there so pretty sure that’s not how it occurred. Also there’s no hotkey combination to activate it which makes it seem pretty unlikely.
As for the conditions that led to the disappearance, I saved the spreadsheet last night, it had comments. I opened it up this morning and the comments were gone. Fortunately I back up every week so only a weeks worth of comments lost. I’ll be backing up daily from now on - my bad.
I will file a bug report and follow your suggestion re requirement of confirmation before mass deletion of comments.

He actualizado a la version 7.6.5.2 y, si bien veo los comentarios, no puedo crear nuevos. Aparece la ventana amarilla pero no puedo escribir texto.

===Edited by @Lupp 2024-03-18 about 18:45 UTC===
By courtesy a translation to English gotten by DeepL.com:
I have upgraded to version 7.6.5.2 and, although I see the comments,
I cannot create new ones. The yellow window appears but I can’t write any text.

Please note:

• Don’t hijack posts by others disregarding the original topic.
  • If the original post wasn’t a question at all (like in this case), you shouldn’t follow the bad practice.
  • The Q&A site is not supposed to be a wailing wall.
    ===End Edit===

In this section of the forum, messages are posted in English.
Please provide information about the version (Menu / Help / About).