consecutive page numbers in headers

How do I insert consecutive numbers in page headers? I’ve tried everything and got everything from just the first page number, to consecutive pages going 1 2 1 2 etc, to getting alternate page number, 1 3 5 7 etc. I’ve tried g r-clicking in the header, going to menu header and footer and header( default as the only style and no other options). The other person who asked about this did not get any response yet and no other questions or answers that I’ve found fit. I have most recent update. an Windows 7. I can’t believe something that should surely be simple is this difficult!

This isn’t clear to me. What was “everything” you tried?
Do you know about the TextField insertion provided for some purposes<?

You didn’t describe the structure of your document, i.e. do you use page styles? How do you transition from part to part, i.e. is the forced page break inserted manually or through a paragraph style?

It’s not a forced page break. I want to consecutively number the pages of a book at top right of every page. No paragraph styles. This is what I have done so far:

Insert menu, Insert header (default style), page number: Ony the first page is numbered with 1.

Right click in header, bullets and numbering, number list. (numbering field at bottom of the menu is not off). Now I get the number 1. in the header at the top of every other page, the headers in every alternate page are blank.

Styles menu, number lists. Same result as above.

R-click in header, page, layout settings show, page number 1, 2, 3, …

I don’t know about text field insertion. I just want to automatically, consecutively number pages at the top of each page.

I just noticed at the bottom of LibreOffice document where it gives the page numbers, word count, default style etc, it also says "Numbering 1, 2, 3, … level 1

>Insert>Field>Page Number inserts a TextField used to display (and print) page numbers. The background colour used to distinguish the display of a TextField from ordinary text is not printed.

THANK you! It didn’t work on the manuscript in question maybe because it was copied from a VERY old .doc, but I opened a new text file and pasted everything in it and now I’m getting consecutive numbering.