Context menus colors

Dear friends,

After upgrading to Windows 11, the context menus in Writer got a black text on a dark blue background (instead a white text, which is easy to read). This is quite uncomfortable, to say the least. I think that this is a Windows 11 problem (it doesn’t happen in Linux), but maybe someone can help me with a hint on how to resolve it. I’ve researched as much as my time allows me to, but to no avail. Any ideas? I’d be very grateful. Please, see the screenshot below (and thanks!):

soffice.bin_orAXO6IGdy

I never noticed it before. The selected text should either be

• inversed to white as shown in Styles pane for selected style. This would be my preferred option. Or
  • the highlighting should have transparency the same as the selected word in your image. This might be hard to see on some monitors because of the grey background of the menu

You can report a bug, How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

How it is shown in another programs?

1 Like

All menus in all LibreOffice programs have the dark blue with black writing.

Firefox has a mid-light grey over light grey for menus which seems to be the rule for other programs in Windows 11, except for File Explorer which is not well differentiated on a good screen (light grey on light grey)
Word 2010 uses mid-yellow highlighting for context menu
XnView is most similar in colour to LibreOffice but inverts the text colour

Version: 7.3.2.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 49f2b1bff42cfccbd8f788c8dc32c1c309559be0
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-NZ (en_NZ); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL

1 Like

Thanks, Earnest. I noticed that, and I checked XNview too, among others. But before upgrading to W11, even when LO showed black text too, the background (the higlit part) was a much paler blue, which made it more readable. And at 1.5 million chars a year, the difference is driving me crazy. I even searched the Windows Registry for that blue values, but nothing was found.

Is there a way to change te menu colos anywahere in the program, Registry or so (I mean, other than editing the source code)?

Thanks a lot again!

AT

Thanks 4 answering, Leroy. It varies. W11 (as Windows 10) is a weird mix of GUI styles. As Earnest said, XNView shows one kind of menus; Firefox uses the W11 native ones (or so ir seems), and so on. I can stand these variations, of course, but with Writer the menus are almost inreadable.

Thanks again for your answer!

AT

The answer seems to be in \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

If I change the value of the key “MenuText” I get a different color in the menu texts (which is, well, what ones would expect). Even absurd values, like “255 0 0” or “255 255 255”, are correctly reflected in LO --or some other apps for that matter.

But if I change the value of MenuHilight (to even absurd values, i.e.: 0 0 0), nothing changes in LO.

I guess this some sort of incompatibility between the new Windows GUI and some apps, lie LO.

AT

There must be more than one setting because File Explorer uses Windows 11 settings for most of its menu, but Windows 10 settings for Show more options from the context menu in the same window. The setting would be related to the inverse colour of text in the menu

Same window Context menu on the left, then Show more options on the right

I don’t think it is an incompatibility, just a new setting that isn’t incorporated into LibreOffice. That is why a bug report is needed.

1 Like

I will.
Thanks again @EarnestAl !
AT