copy a column, skip empty cells but also take adjoining cells

I just read a thread about copying a long column and skipping the empty cells in the column so that you finish up with just the cells that had content. Compacting your long list.

Excellent. Works well. I can use that but there’s just one more thing I need: to also take the adjoining cell of the selected cell and the trouble is all the cells in that adjoining row have content.
so I have like:

adjoining.   column of interest
                     1234     thisthing
                     1236     thatthing
                     1237     another thing

and I want all the ‘things’ and their numbers, too.

You could do that with the help of the auto filter or standard filter.

Hello

• Define a filter across both columns
  • Disable (empty)
  • Copy/Paste the remaining list to some new place/sheet

image description

Hope that helps

That’s great. My display doesn’t come up he same as yours but I was able to get the same functionality.
One problem: it compacts the original list. I don’t want that. I need that to remain there. I just want to copy over the compressed thing.
Of course I can do that by copying everything first and then compressing and I will if that’s it but I thought I’d ask - can it be done on the original list and a copy made and the original restored to how it was?

My display doesn’t come up he same as yours but I was able to get the same functionality.

Is it about visual design or functionality? If you would have mentioned your operating system and your symbol style in use, I could have made it visually comfortable for you …

> One problem: it compacts the original list. I don't want that.

Sorry, but I don’t understand that “problem” - just activate (empty) again.

ah… got it… the filter is still active on that selection… I just have to go back and select ‘all’ and it shows the original again, unfiltered. My display isn’t the same as yours. Am I out of date or something - I’ve got 7.1.1.2 it says, 64 bit on win10