Copying two files into one

I want to compile a list of casualties suffered in the two world wars from the Commonwealth War Graves website. This allows only about 75,000 names to be downloaded at a time so for units with large losses (like the army in both wars, or the RAF in WW2) you have to split the downloads - usually by years so for instance I can download the RAF in two lists of 72,000 for 1939-43 and 52,000 for 1944-45. I then have two csv files which have identical columns of name, rank, death date etc. I want to put the two files together into one calc spreadsheet which would then list all 125,000 odd names which can then be processed into a composite record for all RAF deaths (alphabetically, by date of death or other options). However, I can find no simple way to simply cut and paste one list at the foot of the other. It just keeps telling me that this cannot be done that way. Being fairly new to LibreOffice I would welcome help in how I can achieve this amalgamation of two files into one.

I detail two methods:

1. Open both files in a text editor (Notepad, Gedit, TextEdit or the like):
  • Select the content of one file;
  • Copy;
  • Paste in the other file, below the existing records;
  • Save with a new name (to preserve the original file);
  • Open the new file with LibreOffice. You will have an extra registry: the headers of the second file.
  1. Open both files in LibreOffice:
  • Select all records in one file: while the cursor is in A2 (to avoid a duplicate header), press Ctrl+Shift+End;
  • Copy;
  • Paste in the other file, below the existing records;
  • Save with a new name (to preserve the original file).

Tested with LibreOffice 6.3.6.2 (x86); OS: Windows 6.1.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions.

Press edit below your question if you want to add more information; also can comment an answer.

Check the mark (Correct answer mark) to the left of the answer that solves your question.

Hello,

if i understand you correclty, you do not need calc or LO at all to do this.
under Linux you can just do:

$>  { cat file1.csv; sed '1d' file2.csv; } > file3.csv

This will concat the file1.csv with everything from file2.csv except the first line.
The result will be places in file3.csv.

No need even to open the files.

Hope that helps.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

Have a nice day and let’s (continue to) “Be excellent to each other!”

Also posible in Window, with the command-line interpreter (cmd.exe).

copy file1.csv + file2.csv file3.csv

To change directories you will need the command cd: cd.. move one step to root directory, cd[dir_name] to enter [dir_name] directory.