Crashes in 24.2.4

For me the same issue appears in macOS Sonoma 14.5 on a 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro with Intel Processor, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M and Intel UHD Graphics 630.

I can start from a fresh spreadsheet, I don’t even need to save it or add any content. Just copying empty cells and cell ranges at random in the first 5x5 grid of cells will lead to the crash. I don’t need to paste. It happens within the first 30 copies usually.

It seems to happen much quicker if my mouse movements are sloppy. Like I happen to copy with command+c but my cursor is still moving, maybe? Or my selection wasn’t fully ready when I copied? Maybe it’s some sort of race condition between the selection changing and the copy starting…

Version: 24.2.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 51a6219feb6075d9a4c46691dcfe0cd9c4fff3c2
CPU threads: 16; OS: macOS 14.5; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: osx
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Ah I found a surefire way to reproduce it in just three copies! Starting from an empty spreadsheet in a freshly started libreoffice process:

• select A1, press command+c,
  • select B1:C1, press command+c
  • select D1, press command+c

That leads to an instant crash. And I don’t even need a mouse, this works with keyboard selection of the fields as well.

Copying only single cells repeatedly seems to be safe, copying only ranges repeatedly also, but as soon as you copy a single cell after previously copying a cell and then a range, it crashes.

Thanks everyone.
macOS crashes associated with copying cells in Calc have affected many users. The issue appeared in 24.2.4 and is tracked in 161461 – Crash on second copy after pasting using Enter in Calc on macOS
A fix is already released in the current mac app store version, and available in the upcoming version 24.2.5.
You can already get the pre-release of 24.2.5: Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free and private office suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft

I too experienced this issue Mac M2 here, up-to-date software. However I reverted back, and then re-installed 24.2.4 and was not able to recreate the bug. However, I opened the same spreadsheet it had crashed on, copied and pasted the same formula, and it didn’t crash. Odd.

Stragu,

Thank you for your good and positive comment. Appreciated.

Jan

I have tried both 24.2.5.2 and downgrading to 24.2.4 and the problem with crashing while copying cells is still present in both. Using a M2 Mac Mini running Sonoma.

EDIT: downgrading to 24.2.3, this also crashes!

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bibisect

Great comment. Be pedantic, but don’t offer any actual help.

??? What is “pedantic” here? Did you try to follow the link, and try to understand what was proposed to you? The bibisect procedure is a way to find out a specific code change that started the problem - something that helps to find out the reason for the change, and to fix that…