Create an alphabetical list of items in two columns

I have a list of books that I downloaded from a .csv file and cut and pasted into a two column spreadsheet that I could print. I would like to be able to insert a new book into either column with titles shifting to stay in order. This is probably not the correct way to set this up. I am looking for some help with how to set this up so I can add books in order by author and title without making a mess of the list. Finished product would be a printable list in two or three columns containing Author, Title, Date. My spreadsheet is included.
Books Read from LCLS 2 columns.ods (35.6 KB)
Any help with this would be appreciated.

Version: 7.4.6.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 5b1f5509c2decdade7fda905e3e1429a67acd63d
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

two-column-text-table.odt (50.9 KB) see print preview Ctrl+Shift+O

P.S. Calc is an arithmetic calculator. If all you have in a spreadsheet is text, then there are two reasons:

1. You are a spreadsheet wizard knowing exactly which stunt you want to perform with all that text instead of setting up a database or instead of writing your own program for the task.
  2. You are using the wrong software tool.
2 Likes

I was looking for the best solution and didn’t know if that was calc or writer so I tagged both. Villeroy was correct that I know more about using spreadsheets than I do about the rest. I am an old lady trying to use some tools that I am famililar with, but no expert on.

I am going to try to follow your instructions to create a two column document based on your instructions. Thanks for your help.

1. Just add you new row at end of your list.
  2. Select the whole list (except headings)
  3. Data>Sort and choose the key column

Your new row is shifted to its alphabetical location.

PS: why did you tag writer if you deal only with a spreadsheet?

1 Like