Create an automatic Table of To Do Items

In Writer, you can create a Table of Contents, which is an automatically-generated list of any text with a Heading style.

I’d like to be able to do something similar, where I write a document and then can highlight sentences in that document and quickly give them a custom style or something, which makes them look different from surrounding text and also causes those sentences to show up in an automatically-generated table. I intend it to be used for “To do” items, so I can view in one place a list of all items scattered throughout the document, and I can remove the style from an item when it’s done.

I would just use the heading styles. You can apply them just by ctrl+1, ctrl+2 … and you can write below comments on the task, and you have an overview in the TOC.

Thanks for triggering this thought.

No, I’m already using the heading styles for headings, which are placed in a Table of Contents automatically. I want another list that’s automatically created for pieces of normal text.

You can use a second Table “User-Defined” which behaves like Table of Contents.

@horst: How? Can you post that as an answer with details?

@endolith Your comment to my previous answer triggered the question if you know the functionality of ctrl+1 or ctrl+2 etc.

When you write a normal text and use ctrl+1 with the cursor at the beginning, in the line, or at the end, it automatically creates a Heading 1. At the end of the heading you only need to hit the Enter key and than you are back in Text Body. Doing it this way you don’t need to keep the style window open.

As for the setting of style Heading x / Organizer / Next Style , Text Body is the default (I think I am 99% correct with this statement.)

However, you can also use the method horst proposed or any other.

I think this is in the wrong place, it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with my question.