Creating text that blinks, and text formatting conveys additional meaning

Windows 11, LibreOffice 24.2.1.2 (X86_64) ODT

I’m creating an example ODT document showing what not to do with regards Accessibility Check and I’m trying to create the failure for text that blinks.

I’ve tried setting the text within a shape to blink but I am not getting an error reported, and I don’t see the text blinking either. I’m using 24.2 in case that’s an issue.

@ajlittoz if the effect is not provided out-of-the-box, is that something that is no longer provided?

I’m more than happy in not trying to replicate something that can’t be done :slight_smile:

I’m also getting an error with regards text within a table cell 6:43 which gives the error “the text formatting conveys additional meaning” but I can’t actually figure out what the meaning is, and how to fix it!
text-formatting-cells-example.odt (13.3 KB)

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you

To receive help, help us first to understand the issue. Reopen your question to improve it; don’t answer with a comment (to do that, click on below it, then on the “pencil” icon). Mention OS name, full LO version (all 4 numbers; 24.2 is not sufficient) and save format.

How do you implement blinking? This effect is not provided out-of-the-box.

Regarding your table cell error, attach a sample file. Thanks.

EDIT:

Writer (intentionally emphasised) has never provided blinking text because it is supposed to manage text intended for print (where no blinking text is possible). Writer tries to provide features resembling traditional typography.

I misread your context, skipping “within a shape”. I understand you created a drawing object and attempted to set “blink” property. Drawing features in Writer are provided as a reduced-capability convenience for quick’n’dirty decoration, avoiding the need to switch to Draw, design, copy and then paste back in Writer.

Draw has full capability and blinking shape text is available there. But when you paste such a Draw object in Writer, the “design constraints” take precedence and text no longer blinks because Writer has no function for it.

As a side remark, it is usually a bad idea to insert Drawing Objects in Writer if there are other ways to achieve the same effect (commonly with frame). The reason is drawing objects are estranged to text and don’t interfere collaboratively with text flow. Also, they aren’t controlled by styles and require individual direct formatting.

Could you be more descriptive? Your document opens without error here (LO 7.6.5.2, not yet 24.2.x). Is your error in cell containing “6:43” (2nd row, below “Nicky”)?

1 Like

Here’s a blinking text example (created with an ancient Writer); it indeed isn’t blinking since version 7.0 (but the warning is there).
blinking.odt (7.1 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. I’ll remove the shape and the text as I was only trying to provoke the error as an example of “what not to do”.

With regards the table, yes “6.43” below “Nicky” although most of the other cells have the same error in 24.2.x

@mikekaganski
I get the error when running the Accessibility Check in 24.2.x on the blinking.odt document but copying and pasting into a document created in 24.2.x doesn’t copy the effect (and error) across.

At least I’ve got an example I can use to show what can occur with older documents, thank you :slight_smile:

I have activated Accessibility Check and now get the same error as you. Practically all cells display the error but I am at a loss about meaning.

1 Like

@ajlittoz thank you for trying, I’m glad I’m not the only one who can’t figure it out :slight_smile:

@ajlittoz I have managed to fix it by using “Clear formatting” and then adding “Table Contents” back as the formatting. Which at least fixes the issue but I don’t have an explanation for what causes it :smiley:

Just a guess: it involves Accessibility Check, in other words “assistive technology” where various output devices could be used to “read” the document to disabled people. I suppose these devices try to deduce text semantics from formatting to activate the most appropriate technology or options. When strict styling is applied to document (I call it semantic styling because styles then describe significance or importance rather than the visual effect), the name of the style addresses a specific semantic axis. On the contrary, direct formatting hides the underlying semantics because settings are individually taken into account without leaving any way to reconstruct a global idea.

However, naming style is free and theses technologies can’t rely on a semantic axis with a Klingon name. I suppose that they restrict themselves on built-in style names where the intent is commonly agreed upon (at least implicitly). Thus, clearing direct formatting, you make Table Contents visible and there is now a match between the table and what is inside.

1 Like