Custom dictionary (writer)

Can anyone tell me where I find the custom dictionaries to edit (on a mac) - Writer has added a nonsense word and I wish to remove it.

In the help pages it says: go to preferences > languages and locales. I’ve done this and they aren’t there to edit - in fact they are not located anywhere within the preferences.

Additionally, does anyone know how I can stop writer finishing my words with ‘predictive endings’ I don’t want? Example: I write ‘find’ and it completes the word as ‘finding’ (?) How do I switch it off?? Thanks

Did you look under Writing Aids?

LibreOffice 24.8.0.3/Slackware 15

The second paragraph of my post…

In the screenshot by @robleyd the standard(All) dictionary is selected. This is where words added to the dictionary by the user are stored. Clicking the Edit button to the right allows you to select the word and delete it. The user dictionary can be edited from the spell check dialogue (F7) too, click the Options button

If the word isn’t in there, then it is in the dictionary for your language which is read only from within LibreOffice. With LibreOffice closed, you can search on your system to find, say en-US.dic, open it with a text editor and delete the line with the offending word.
Predictive endings, Click Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect Options > Word completion and untick the box Enable word completion (off by default I think).

1 Like

Removing Words From a User-Defined Dictionary says

Choose Tools - Options - Languages and Locales - Writing Aids.

If you happen to As you use MacOS - you forgot to mention your OS and LO version - this would be under LibreOffice - Preferences, not Tools - Options.

Edit: Oops, I can’t read apparently

Seems they did:

Hmm, this page already gives it correctly: Removing Words From a User-Defined Dictionary
So yes, which help page you refer to, and which version of LO do you use?

Thanks for your patience and assistance robleeyd -

My oversight, I highlighted the spellchecker first in error, not the dictionary - have now edited it,

The actual problem arising from ‘collected words’ list in ‘autocorrect options’ not sure if this is some sort of supplementary dictionary? But is a list (I guess) of words not contained in the main dictionaries - as it has slang words local to me, and obscure botanical nomenclature that I also use…

As EarnestAl says, you can turn off word completion. If that isn’t a solution, you should be able to edit the Collected Words list. Note that the collected words list can be configured such that when closing a document to remove the words collected from that document from the list.