Custom style not showing in writer document

I understood your purpose as such. IMHO, there is a bug in handling direct formatting on note anchor. I already detected a similar discrepancy on list number/bullet (see tdf#158835) and I commented tdf#136554 to draw developers’ attention on the similarity and possible same cause.

Usually, the styling precedence is paragraph < character < direct formatting. Here this precedence is followed except when colours are involved (text colour or background highlighting colour). This twist is really upsetting.

I could not find any valid workaround. The only thing you can do is to apply bold (but this gives you only two categories and this is not very noticeable due to size reduction of the anchor), italics (same comment), underline (idem). Changing font face, though allowing for more categories, again is not visually sufficient due to the size of the anchor.

The only workaround I can find to highlight just a single footnote anchor would be to add parentheses around the anchor and apply a coloured Endnote Anchor style to them.
Highlighting goes right down to the base line and looks a bit odd.
FootnoteAnchors100592_mod.odt (29.4 KB)

From what I see the styling applies to the added symbols (the parentheses around the anchor), i.e. where there is no conflict with the automatically applied character style. Odd looking indeed.

A footnote that is more important than the others might be better, not as a footnote, but as a box out.