Data disappearing into top part of cell, and skipping over a cell when summing

Hello everyone.

I’m currently preparing the taxes for a business by putting all the expenses for the month into columns, then at the bottom of the page i sum the column into an empty cell. Everything was going well, for the sake of visualization, it looks like this:

(Data)
(Data)
(Data)
(Sum)

However, i’ve gotten to a new column, and for some reason, anything i type in the cell disappears into an invisible part of it in the top. This happens to anything i type in that particular cell, it goes into a hidden top part and all i can see is the bottom of what i type. Also, i normally just highlight the cells that i want to add with an additional empty cell, and then just click “sum” and the sum appears in the empty cell. However, for some reason, the sum is getting moved to the additional empty cell below the empty one, like this:

(Data)
(Data)
(Data)
(Empty Cell)
(Sum)

Is there a way to fix this besides moving the whole column over, leaving that one empty? Thanks in advance.

Just guessing: the row height is fixed, and the cell has a bottom margin greater than default.
Try to clear the direct formatting (menu Edit, or Ctrl+M).

I see that if you right click you can “clear direct formatting”, and i did that but it didn’t change anything, it’s still treating it like there are two cells within a cell. I guess for now i will just move the whole column to the right and leave that column blank since i want to get this done, but i would still like to know what’s going on.

Well, cutting and pasting the columns didn’t work, it’s doing the same thing. None of the other columns are effect though, i tested putting in small numbers and summing them and it works the way it’s supposed to. I guess if worst comes to worst i could just retype the numbers.

There could be a new line character at the end of that cell. What happens if do you edit the cell content (F2) and press Backspace?
To test on, you can share a reduced sample file leaving just the offending cell content.

What i did was i just inserted another row, which i realized i needed to do anyway, and that fixed the problem.