Database filters

My database was created from a spreadsheet.

In trying to filter data for a mail-merge: Is there a way to filter by parts of a word or phrase? When I use the Standard Filter, there is the filter ‘Like’, but the case and everything must exactly match. How can I filter for something like “car” that would return entries that ‘contain’: Car, car, NASCAR, carrier, etc. The Standard-Filter choices are: Like, Not Like, Null, Not Null.

The answer may be, “Filter data first in the spreadsheet, add another sheet (i.e. Sheet 2), then copy the filtered data to the new sheet… and use the new sheet for your mail-merge data.”

Hi, you may need to use a query and or a filter table using wildcards and concatination. Examples can be found here:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=42845

Hello…
You can FILTER your words either by using a FILTER TABLE to store the sub-string you want to search for OR by user-entered (‘parameter’) input when running an appropriate QUERY (or by using FORMS based on such queries).

See the attached example Firebird BASE file -
search_substring_examples.odb

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The answer for my issue was:

In the Standard Filter, for VALUE in the LIKE condition, bracket partial strings within %'s or asterisks. Example: %ing% will return Flem[ing] and not Smith or Jones. The entry is case sensitive.

image description