Date is shown in different format than entered. And messing up editing

Running windows 10 with date format set to D/M/YYYY
LibreOffice 7.4.4.2
In Languages - Date acceptance patterns : D/M/Y;D/M
Cell format D/M/YYYY
I can enter the date in the desired format. This works just right.
But the huge problem is when I select a cell to edit, the date is shown in M/D/YYY format and when I leave it this way it saves swapped.
It is a total mess. I can’t just edit one number, I need to write the new date
Are there any other settings I need to change to have it right?

//edit all settings and in the new document still behaves this way

I cannot emulate your experience. Maybe check:

• Locale format is correct in Windows. Click Start Menu > Settings > Time & Language > Language & Region > Regional Format is set correctly, and Region too.
  • Windows Display Language is set correctly in the above dialogue. Also cycle through the keyboard language options in WindowsKey+Spacebar to get correct combination, see Windows Taskbar near date.
  • LibreOffice. Click Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages and check Language of User Interface, Locale Setting and Default Language

If all is OK then the issue arises in the document or in LibreOffice.

Does a new document (File > New) exhibit the same behaviour?
Or is only particular documents? Are your spreadsheets in .ods format or in a non-native format such as .xlsx? Or converted from .xlsx?

See if issue exists in Safe Mode. Click Help > Restart in Safe Mode > Continue in Safe Mode

The easiest way round this is to always use/format cells as ISO Date format: YYYY-MM-DD.

Why not simply (and exclusively) use YYYY-MM-DD (ISO 8601 extended) and never again have a problem with dates?
This doesn’t block the usage of abbreviating recognition patterns.
The only still annoying issue is that next to all locales come with bad and silly default “date formats” which you can’t ban from being default. Yet a cell where you enter a date in ISO 8601 should keep this format.

1 Like

//edit: it was solved by switching locate setting back and forth
it doesn’t take the system settings on startup but remembers it
and I installed it with a different format

It behaves the same in the new document - I added screens of settings to the original post
And also how it shows in the edit bar

But this issue bothers me mainly when I need to edit old .doc files, I need to keep the format there, just do minor editing

All system time shows correctly, so default settings should take that format, doesn’t it?

I think it is a big mistake changing date format in your Locale to a different order. It is confusing and will cause problems in understanding.
Seriously consider instead YYYY-MM-DD. You could change your Locale to Canada where Y-M-D is official.

LibreOffice uses the default date format (if no other selected) of its current locale’s own data, not a differing system format. If you switch the LibreOffice current locale from Default to a fixed locale then that will be remembered. If you keep the LibreOffice locale on Default then it uses whatever was active in the environment when starting the LibreOffice process.

Probably wrong/non-matching default locale (you didn’t tell which). See EarnestAl’s third bullet point. Date edit format is of the default locale, here likely en-US or any other with the nonsensical M/D/Y format. But with date acceptance patterns D/M/Y;D/M you force the input to be recognized different.

//edit: it was solved by switching locate setting back and forth
it doesn’t take the system settings on startup but remembers it
and I installed it with a different format

I added screens of all the settings and system date
And how it shows in the edit tab