Dbus session weird behavior with color theme

I want to configure the theme in calc to be the dark theme by default.
my GTK_THEME is exported as Adwaita:dark, so the menu/overlay is following the dark theme.

When it comes to the sheet or spreadsheet however, I don’t get this it is still bright white, so I go into tools->options->application colors and there I can set “dark”, “light” or “system theme”. With “dark” selected, I get a black sheet with white text which is what I want, but I cannot find the way to configure my system to have that by default when “system theme” is selected.

I have GTK 2, 3, and 4 configured to be in a dark theme.

The weird thing, and the main part of my question is that when I set DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS to something invalid, i.e. by running
$ DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS= libreoffice --calc
I get exactly the behavior I want (black sheet). When DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is set to the session bus, the system bus or unset i get a white sheet.

I think LO might default to using the system bus is DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not defined, but in any case, regardless of whether a dbus session is available or not, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS needs to be an invalid path.

I would guess that LO does something different in that case, which is the behavior I want, and I guess my question is whether there is something I can configure on dbus to get that behavior with a valid DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

apparently nothing explicit …
https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/search?project=core&full=DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS&defs=&refs=&path=&hist=&type=&xrd=&nn=1

you may provide exhaustive details on your config, and ping the dev list