Debian 11 - LibreOffice Writer not checking for duplicate words in document

Hi,

I have searched the web for a solution to my problem to no avail. I did find, but cannot find option in this version of LO to fix this based on this solution: How do you get LibreOffice to highlight repetitive words? - #3 by Rugslug .
I use LibreOffice (LO) to write my metes and bounds descriptions (I am a land surveyor) on Debian 11. The Debian 11 version of LO installed is 7.0.4.2. I write and save my documents in the latest MS Word Version (2007-365.docx). I am having a problem with LO not flagging duplicate words in my documents. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you,

You need to add the grammar checker, maybe it isn’t installed by default in Debian. Look in the repository for Lightproof English or maybe libreoffice-lightproof-en

BTW always work and save in .odt. If you need to send a document to someone who can’t open .odt then File > Save a Copy as .xlsx .docx [thanks Mikekaganski :slight_smile: ] and send them that. Carry on using the original .odt for your own work, see Apache OpenOffice Community Forum - [Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files - (View topic)

2 Likes

Also make sure that the text has the correct language (not only check the settings under Options|Language Settings|Languages, but also what language is shown in the status bar when you type / when you walk through the document using arrow keys).

indeed, that was meant to be “as .docx”.

2 Likes

…or LanguageTool.

I finally had time to read the link. Thank you for replying with this information. I have now changed my workflow to doing what is suggested.
Thank you again.

Thank you to @EarnestAl . Debian 11 does not install libreoffice-lightproof-en (grammar checker) by default. Once installed one needs to go to Tools-> Extension Manager → click “Lightproof grammar checker (English) 0.4.3” then click on “Options”. This brings up the “English sentence checking” window where one can select Grammar checking (and) other options.
Thanks to all.