Decimal and thousands separators in numbers and how locales apply to this?

Hi, I have installed libreoffice 6.1.2 on Windows 10. My language is set to Greek so the decimal separator key is “,”
When I type or paste 0.5 0.05 0.0005 it stays as what I typed, align left as text. But when I type 0.005 then it converts to 5 and aligns right as number. The same thing happens when I change the locale to English, but with the text 0,5 0,05 0,005 etc. Is this a bug or intended behavior?

+1 for saying what your version and OS are.

In Greek locale, the dot is also used in numbers - as thousand separator. So, when you have the proper three digits after the ., it is recognized that you’ve entered the proper number (zero thousand and five), and it’s treated as such. The same holds for English locale (modulo using , for thousand separator).

If you need your input to always be considered text, then just format your cells (columns?) as text prior to input.

Either that, or input otherwise numeric values with a leading apostrophe '0.005 which forces content to Text type; the apostrophe will not be part of the cell content.

Spot on. Thank you.

@damdim, the appropriate place to put your thank you is first to check the up arrow above the Zero ‘0’ to the left of the answer you received. ALSO, if this answered your question (the one that you typed in above), the proper thing to do is the click on the check mark below this zero, to turn it green. This lets everyone know that your question has been answered. It also rewards the person who answered your question with points, and as you yourself get more points here you will get respect.