Default 'New' Extension for Writer (ODT/ODF/ODW/OLW)

Hi Develops,

I reticently start to use your SW and I am quite impressive how it so far surprising lightly to work with it.
I have a few questions about, which I would like to set up - but, for now, I would like you to ask do you have intention to change default extension for WRITER?

I use a lot WordPad (.ODT) and because of that I always have to change between this two SW.

I would like if the WRITER have its own unique extension
(as I see it shown ODF and when I save it save with ext. ODT)

Maybe some like those one:

ODF (Open Document Files)
or,
ODL (Open Document Libre)
or,
ODW (Open Document Writer)
or,
OLW (Open Libre Writer)

Could be possible to change the extension?

Best Regards,
George.

If possible at all, a document written to a file with extension .odt should actually be saved as specified by the OpenDocument group for text documents. (Also .fodt should be assigned only to files regarding the respective specifications.)
Anyway you always need to distinguish between
-a- the file extension
-b- the actual format (specifications) used when saving the document to a file
-c- the association defined on your system of an extension with a specific software in charge of opening the file
If you think to need to accept inconsistencies concerning the above listed aspects, you will have to manage the resulting mess on your own.
LibreOffice will support you insofar as it will open any file associated with it using the appropriate filter (if there is one) independent of the extension.
I never used Wordpad, but: If it is capable of writing textdocuments in the specified .odt format, you may use this extension with it. If not, never do so!

The default file format for text files created by Wordpad should be RichTextFormat, and the default extension rtf.
If you experience a conflict with file associations, you should probably use rtf for all Wordpad documents and use the typical ODF extensions only with LibreOffice. If any LibO imstallation created a file association for .rtf with LibO, simply kill it on the system level.

Lupp & Mike Kaganski,
Thanks for yours answers.

I had to do a lite test… before I was saving the file, I was rename ODT into ODW.
After that, I opened, and it is work - just fine as I want :slight_smile:

Please find the attached file “STEP

Best regards,
George.

OK,
I understand what you want to suggest but that it is not just quite simple as that :frowning:
For purpose of my job “.RTF” extension (and others similar extension) has been linked already with MS 2016 Office/Notepad/Worpad… etc.

I am using LibreOffice at home and I must to use MS office 2016 at my working station/place.
I would like when I could use LIBRE office at my job but it in not possible because of company regulations.
(Lot of my time I am working from home, and I have the same settings on my personal PC as at work)

I would like to ask the question… if it possible… the WRITER have own “special” extension which is different from any well-known extension?

Like other LIBRE office SW:

everyone has a different extension, that no one else is using

CALC (.ODS) / DRAW (.ODG) / IMPRESS (.ODP)
…etc.

and WRITER, one of this: (.ODF) (.ODL) (.ODW) (.OLW)

Please, don’t misunderstand me…
It is only my suggestion!
For the easier, connectivity, of the files - with their associated software.

Best regards,
George.

Please note that this site is not a forum (where each thread is some discussion with posts ordered in order of their post time, creating some chronological sequence of posts). This is an Ask site, where each question has a number of answers (proposed solutions), ordered by the value given to them by users: if some answer solves the questions better, it’s upvoted more and/or marked correct, and sorted higher - regardless of the time of its appearance (so users see better solutions easier, higher in the list). So - please don’t use “answer”/“solution” for what needs to go to comments or to be included into edited question itself.

Hi Mike,

Could you please give me a email or contact address from somebody where can I post this kind of question? I have a few more question for developers. I know this is not a forum but I would like if somebody can answer me because I started to use the LibreOffice about 3 months ago.
So far I have used only MS office from Microsoft.

Thanks.

ODF (OpenDocument Format) is an open set of formats created by a working group led by developers of OpenOffice.org, and currently maintained/evolved by the same working group with LibreOffice being one of key contributors. These formats include the ODT, ODS, ODP, etc formats, which are the native formats for LibreOffice. So, you only can have best results when consistently use ODF formats to save your documents. So, while you can choose other formats as the default for save, it’s not the recommended thing (and will definitely sooner or later give you troubles with lost formatting or even content).

If your idea is just to change the symbols in the extension (without actually changing the format used), so that the OpenDocument text documents would be saved to a file named, say, “myDocument.OLW” - then, heh, that’s not implemented in no program I know about… the used extension is a standard one; its use means that any compatible program can detect that it can handle that file. You can exchange the file with other parties, and if they have an ODF-capable program, it will be able to open ODT, but will not suggest itself to read OLW… so - no, there’s no way to do that, and actually your idea even for your use case is likely not well-thought. While you might imagine some immediate benefits from this, you miss many problems that will emerge from this.

Lupp & Mike Kaganski,
Thanks for yours answers.

I had to do a lite test… before I was saving the file, I was rename ODT into ODW.
After that, I opened, and it is work - just fine as I want :slight_smile:

Please find the attached file “STEP

Best regards,
George.