Default Writer template language error

I set a default Writer template with English (UK) document language.

If I open Writer (e.g. from the taskbar shortcut) it opens a new blank document with UK language - correct.

But if I right click on the desktop, and make a new writer document (New>OpenDocument Text), then open it, the language is English (USA). So that doesn’t use my template. Any idea why?

In both cases it should be creating a new document from the default template.

Can anyone else replicate this issue? Thanks.

No need to replicate. It’s tdf#133661. It is partly fixed in 7.1, and so it matches LibreOffice settings; but not LibreOffice default template.

“It is partly fixed in 7.1, and so it matches LibreOffice settings; but not LibreOffice default template.”

Sorry, I don’t understand that - in 7.1, will it use my default template regardless of how I create a new document? (i.e. that’s the behaviour I expect, what MS Word does etc).

No it will not. It will honor your LibreOffice locale; and if your locale is set to en-GB, you will have en-GB as the language of new documents (which previously was not the case, and was always en-US). But it will not use your default template, with possible custom styles, pre-defined content, etc. This part is not yet fixed tdf#139991.

Do not answer a question unless it is a real answer. Modify or comment the original one.

“Do not answer a question unless it is a real answer. Modify or comment the original one.”

Sorry, I haven’t used this system before, I wanted to answer what someone had said so clicked the Answer button, I hadn’t realised it wasn’t using “answer” in its sense of “reply”. Noted now.

Thanks Mike - so, since language is only one part of the template I prefer (there are also styles, page layout etc) then I’ll keep an eye on tdf#139991, since I can see it exactly describes my user POV confusion! It can also be a time saver e.g. creating a doc in the place you are currently browsing - otherwise you have to open Writer and then browse all over again to that same place to save it, which could be huge set of nested folders.

As someone who is moving away from Microsoft to alternatives, I’m finding quite a few issues with LibreOffice that don’t work as I am used to, but I’m hoping to find workarounds for them all in time, or for them to eventually get updated. Until then I keep MS Word installed just so I can sidestep those issues.

Mike - one thing I don’t understand, is that when Writer opens, it obviously always loads some template, whether user defined or the one it installs with. Wouldn’t the easiest solution be to allow the user to change that template? (i.e. users who only want one template, not a load of them.) Then whenever the user opens Writer it would be the correct preferences, regardless of method of creating the new doc? [Obviously there would need to be a “restore to default settings” option in a menu somewhere, just in case it got messed up.]