Delete versus cut graphics action

FYI – I am editing OCRed documents with over 100 pages. Each page has a graphic at the top and bottom for page numbers etc. out of the OCR engine. If I delete the graphic, Libreoffice takes me to be beginning of the document and I have to page down to where I was editing. If I Ctrl-X the graphic, I stay on the same page and can continue editing. I’m running 7.3.2.2.

Cut pastes the selection in the clipboard, overwriting what was already there. There is some overhead, but in your case, it’s clearly the thing to do to save yourself lots of scrolling.

As I noted: this is FYI, but I would have expected that when I deleted a graphic to remain in the same place in the document. Being kicked back to the beginning was a surprise and a real pain until I found that Ctrl-X did not.

It’s definitely very bad behavior. Smells like a bug. I never came across it, but then, I never had to edit scanned documents with page numbers in frames.

That likely is a sign of the graphics being anchored to page, and Writer doesn’t know where to move the focus after currently focused object is deleted. And the two pieces of code doing a similar thing decide to do it differently.

Definitely something to report, and a FYI here is just a first step.

OTOH, I can’t repro with to-page anchored text box using Version: 7.4.0.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: f85e47c08ddd19c015c0114a68350214f7066f5a
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (ru_RU); UI: en-US
Calc: CL Jumbo

so maybe a sample file is needed first.

Ask and you shall receive. The first 20 pages are cleaned up. Starting at page 21, you will see rectangular bars that can be selected. Delete them and you end up at the beginning of the document and have to find your way back to where you were editing. Cut them and you pretty much stay in the same place, at least on the same page.

Test sample with anchored graphics.docx (123 KB)

Fun - it’s not even anchored to page, it’s anchored to character, so it could at least jump to the anchor point (which is at the top of the same page at least).

Please do file a bug.