Dictionaries not working, apart from the Italian one for some reason

Hi, I’m having major problems with the dictionaries. They won’t do the spell check, they don’t suggest me words, and all the other things they’re supposed to do.

I have installed the Italian dictionary, the English dictionary which should be installed by default since I downloaded the English version of LibreOffice, the Norwegian dictionary and the Russian dictionary. At a certain point, some months ago, only the Italian dictionary kept working, and this is a bad thing for me, as I write in different languages.

If I go in Options - Language Settings, I have:
Default Language, Western: English. (I have tried changing it to Italian, or to other things entirely. The software doesn’t seem to care)
“Ignore system input language” is not checked (nothing changes if I check it or not).

If I go in Tools - Language - For All Text, I can select whatever I want: if I pick Italian it will do the spell check and everything, if I choose something else nothing will happen.

If I go in Tools - Spelling - Text Language, only Italian has the green check mark. No other dictionary is available. I noticed the same thing in the Default Language, Italian has the green check marks, all the others don’t.

I’m using LibreOffice Version: (x64), on Windows 10. In tried uninstalling and reinstalling LibreOffice. I tried re-installing the dictionaries too. Nothing works.

Anybody else with a similar problem, or suggestions? I seriously cannot figure out what this is about. There must be some file that’s got corrupted or something, I suppose, and I can’t seem to get rid of it.

… and you are on which operating system?

Windows 10! Will add to the question!

Did you test in LibreOffice Safe-Mode (Help -> Restart in Safe Mode) the problem appearing as well?

the English dictionary which should be installed by default since I downloaded the English version of LibreOffice

There’s no “English version of LibreOffice”. The MSI installer that you download from LibreOffice site is the same, no matter which language is selected - be it the site language, or the language for additional downloads. The downloads language affects - as it is positioned on the download page - the supplementary downloads: namely help installer.

I have installed the Italian dictionary …

Please be very specific: how exactly had you installed the dictionaries. Had you selected advanced install option when installed (or modified) LibreOffice, and selected the dictionaries there, or had you downloaded some dictionaries as extensions?..

“Did you test in LibreOffice Safe-Mode (Help → Restart in Safe Mode) the problem appearing as well?”

Oh. No I didn’t, thank you so much for telling me about that function. It works perfectly in safe mode. I choose “Restore from backup”. Everything going smoothly. Now I just have to figure out how to restore the “normal mode” office to the settings of the safe mode.

I both installed some of the dictionaries during the installation of the software, when I can choose the languages, and added some afterwards as extensions. Extensions always taken by the official LibreOffice website. Whatever it was, it doesn’t seem to have been related to how I installed the dictionaries, because usually I install the English and the Italian language pack together with the software, as I use those most.

Thank you! You solved it.


according to your test result in Safe Mode you should reset your user profile performing the following procedure:

To reset the user profile perform:

  • Start LibreOffice
  • Start in Safe Mode using Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and confirm the restart using button: Restart
  • Archive your profile expanding Advanced (click on the word Advanced right above Help button) and click Archive User Profile button
  • Select option Reset to factory settings
  • Activate [x] Reset entire user profile
  • Click button Apply Changes and Restart

Hope that helps.