Differences between 6.1.5.2 and 6.2.4.2 LibreOffice UI

I have composed a calc data entry form in LO version 6.1.5.2, Ubuntu 19.04. It works fine.

When I open the file in LO 6.1.5.2, I get a security warning screen (image 6.1.5.2-1.png). I select “Enable Macros”, the file opens, and the data entry form appears (image 6.1.5.2-2.png), and all is well.

When I open the file in LO 6.2.4.2, the security screen appears (image 6.2.4.2-1.png). Note the different appearance compared to 6.1.5.2-1.png. I select “Enable Macros” and the data entry form appears (image 6.2.4.2-2.png). Again, note the different appearance compared to 6.1.5.2-2.png. When the file is opened in 6.2.4.2, I notice the following (a not complete list):

1: The overall size of the data entry screen is larger than in 6.1.5.2.
2: The font of the field labels is gray rather than black.
3: The command buttons along the bottom are a different size and the background color is white rather than gray.
4: The text fields have a “flat” appearance, rather than a “3D look” as specified in the properties list pane.

I don’t believe this is a problem only with my files, as I also note that when I open a new file, enter the “LibreOffice Basic” screen, insert a dialog and add a textbox, the properties list pane looks different between 6.1.5.2 and 6.2.4.2 (images 6.1.5.2-3.png and 6.2.4.2-3.png).

Also, the differences are obvious in the “Browse Records” screen (images 6.1.5.2-4.png and 6.2.4.2-4.png.

Can anyone tell me why are the screen renderings different? Has there been some change to the LibreOffice Basic layout and functionality?

Thanks for any info.

6.1.5.2-2.png

6.2.4.2-1.png

… and complete contents of Help->About for each version are …? :slight_smile:

The info for 6.1.5.2 is:
Version: 6.1.5.2
Build ID: 90f8dcf33c87b3705e78202e3df5142b201bd805
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.0; UI render: default; VCL: x11;
Locale: en-CA (en_CA.UTF-8); Calc: group threaded

The info for 6.2.4.2 is:
Version: 6.2.4.2
Build ID: 2412653d852ce75f65fbfa83fb7e7b669a126d64
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.0; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-CA (en_CA.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US

Aha, that explains. Your 6.1.5.2 uses VCL: x11, while 6.2.4.2 uses VCL: gtk3, giving a different (more native for gtk) look and feel.

I also note the the format of the “About” screens shows the same variances as in the “Enable Macros” screen.

heh, the whole LibreOffice looks different, not only a couple of dialogs :slight_smile:

Indeed. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

This is not an issue. LibreOffice may be integrated into many environments, and it aims to look native. The integration is done using VCL plugins. In your case, older version used generic plugin, not providing native experience in gtk environment (for unclear reasons). Your newer version uses proper plugin. You are, of course, free to use generic plugin there, too, and call that “solution”, but better get used to this look and feel.

Thanks for the info.
I cannot seem to find where to change the environment variables your link refers to. Help would be appreciated.
There is another issue: If I go into the Basic editor and change, say, the height of a textbox or its background color, when I run the macro the change is not reflected in the displayed userform, though if I change the width, it is. So, modifying the userform is problematic.

For testing, you can always set the variable directly, like running this in terminal:

> SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen soffice

To make long-term setting, you need to put it somewhere into session configuration file, like ~/.profile.

Why are you doing these “updates” to the message? Are you bumping it?

No, I am not trying to bump this message. The info you previously provided prompted me to modify the original message to more accurately describe my original question.