Different Behaviours Since LO 6.0.7.3 (new install with Ubuntu 18.04.4, Firefox 76.0.1)

Version: 6.4.6.2
Build ID: 1:6.4.6-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

I’ve put these in together in case they’re all caused by the same thing.

Different Behaviours Since LO 6.0.7.3 (new install with Ubuntu 18.04.4, Firefox 76.0.1)

• Scrolling

Unlike previous versions of LO (and FF), since 6.0.7.3, the grey slug/thumb moves to where I clicked (i.e. it moves multiple pages). This command has different results depending on size of document, which is inconsistent. Also, I can already do the same thing by dragging the slug/thumb to the desired point, so this new behaviour is a duplicate. Whereas there’s no other mouse command to scroll one page only, so that ability is lost.

• Toggle Case (shift+F3)

Behaviour is erratic. If part of a sentence selected, shift+F3 changes the case of various unselected words in the same sentence unpredictably.

• Cursor speed

When cursor keys are used, the cursor movement is much too fast to be useful. The cursor reaches the beginning or end of document before I can react.

I’m several versions on now, so I’m guessing that this isn’t a mistake, or nobody else has reported it. Any help on this would be appreciated as it makes LO a lot less easy to use.

Thanks.

(formatting improved by ajlittoz)

Please edit your question to provide more information about your configuration as at least scrolling and cursor speed depends on OS configuration. Ideally, paste info from Help>About LO. You may have a discrepancy between your desktop manager (Unity, GNOME, KDE Plasma, MATE, Xfce, LXDE, …) and the GUI interface library in LO.

Scrolling is typical of GTK+ configuration where the scroll bars retain the X-windows behaviour (scroll to position) instead of repeated page move. Cursor speed can also be tuned in the keyboard configuration utility.

Please do not use Add Answer but edit your original question to enhance the details of your question (answers are reserved for solutions to a problem on this Q&A site).

Thanks, I appreciate all the help. More system info added, as requested.

TBH, my system was set up from scratch by a local guy and I don’t know his competence in Linux/LO). I did set up a Ubuntu system myself several years ago, and just kept it as installed. I believe the desktop that came with it was Gnome. That’s what I’m comparing these effects to, and wondering why they’re different.

•  On Linux/LO compatibility: 

I do want to understand this myself, to be more self-sufficient. I’d like to read up on it if you could suggest some info. Before that, is there a way to check this desktop manager/LO compatibility myself, with limited tech knowledge? Alternatively, would a complete re-install of LO guarantee compatibility?

•     On scrolling: 

Settings/About shows Windowing System as X11.

X11 is the deepest layer. The interesting information is gtk3 meaning the widget layer is GTK+ (which is consistent with GNOME). I can’t give you a useful advice because I run Fedora with KDE Plasma which if Qt- based, not GTK+.

However, GTK+ can be configurable in any conceivable way, but the configuration file is deeply buried in the file system and Fedora organisation is different. But search the internet for GTK config. I found useful trick once I had trouble with scroll bars in a GTK+ application.

Toggle Case (Shift+F3) is tdf#49033, carried over from OOo so sadly, not new.

OK. Thanks again for all your help. Chapeau!

I’ve found the answer to the scrolling issue, it happened in GTK3. The result of clicking on the scrollbar outside the thumb was changed to “jump to the click position”. To make up for that, a new command was added to restore the paging option - right click on the scrollbar. it’s explained here (spoiler – not everyone likes it).