Disable auto converting into date LC 24.8.2.1

Hello, im having an issue like in this topic

where my text gets auto converted into data format and i cant change it back. i download files from the website in CSV format, and opening them in LibraCalc makes some of the cells get auto converted.
for example i have text “002-03-07” which calc auto converts into “0002-03-07” data format, and then when i try to format it into text, it returns “-693165”. i just want my 002-03-07? when i try to copy it and insert as plain text its still in data format.

Calc is designed as an application for mass number grinding. By default, it expects that anything that user may enter, could happen to be some kind of a number (percent, currency, date, fraction…) or a formula.

If you want your data to be text, and you want Calc to not try to interpret it as any kind of numeric data, you have to inform Calc about it. It is done by marking your data as text:

• either you type your textual data with leading apostrophe ': like '0002-03-07, when you need “0002-03-07” - OK for a one-time entry;
  • or you number-format your area (e.g. columns) as Text (prior to data entry);
  • or you change the (default?) cell style to use Text number formatting (again, will affect following entry).

You may further save the resulting prepared spreadsheet as a (default?) template.

For CSV, you mark the respective columns as text in the text import dialog’s preview grid.

2 Likes

thank you for reply! idk what i did but i disabled auto converting somehow it seems :smile: