Disappearing footnotes in document not saved in .odt

Hello,

Firstly I would like to thank in advance anyone taking the time to help. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I have seen similar issues but not entirely - they are concerned with the retrievability of disappeared footnotes.

Problem: footnotes on a document saved in anything other than .odt disappear. Newest LibreOffice version is used. The issue is NOT that I cannot find them and retrieve them BUT that they DO disappear.

The document is saved in .docx for users to read in Word. In Word the footnotes are visible but not in LibreOffice once closing the file and opening it at a different time.

Question: Is there a solution so that I keep using LibreOffice and save in .docx?

Regards,
Alex

Compatibility problem?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/General/118#Edit_different_file_formats_in_LibreOffice

Please report the behavior also as an error in Bugzilla .

See also:

How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice .

Please post the link to the bug here.
format: tdf#nnnnnn (use only the number, not the link)
To do this, edit your original question. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply.

In other words to your knowledge there is no solution since it concerns a technical coding issue?

I will be happy to report a bug - is it a bug then?

The solution is described in the link.
You always keep your file as ODT (source) and only pass DOCX as copy.

I think if it is not a bug it should work.
What should you define as a bug, if not an inability to function?

1 Like

Saving .docx and reopening is a roundtrip, i.e. conversion from internal format to file, then from file to internal format. Two conversions/translations occur. If the initial contents was not correctly structured, several approximations are needed, drastically changing the structure and potentially changing the semantics.

You say “Newest LO version”, but which one? Releases progress at different paces on different platforms. So it is much better to cite the exact version number (with all components).

An important factor in round-trip loss of information is the way you format your document (styles vs. direct formatting). So, attach a 1-page sample with disappearing footnotes for technical analysis.

1 Like

Thanks to you too. I will do as soon as possible.

I cannot reproduce this. Closing and opening a .docx file preserves the footnote. For me, it is version 7.4.5.1, so if this would be reproducible on a 7.5 version, indeed your only option will be to file a bug. If that is the case, you may want to revert to 7.4 for the time being.

Hey, I also experienced the disappearing footnotes (when using docx format), and as the guy mentioned above it’s a compatibility issue, Libre Office is meant to work great with odt
So I’ve learned my lesson, I never work with docx in Libre Office/ Linux in general.
I do all my work in odt and if necessary, save as docx without ever opening it with LO and just send it to MS office users.

For me this is the way to go

1 Like