Document Skew Trickery

Hello

I am working on a very long document. About 1000 pages or so. I have painstakingly gone through all of it to properly adjust the text and images, but right when I finish setting the entire document in order, something happens and then suddenly everything is askew.

Imagine if the text and images of the first page to every chapter in a book were to randomly jump down half a page. Because of this, the balance of text and images in the entire book is screwed up. I have already tediously pruned the entire document twice to fix this, but don’t want to do it a third time just for it to happen again.

Could very the small edits made at the very beginning of the document somehow scramble the rest of it? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

This is quite possible if you have not anchored and positioned the images correctly.
There are different procedures for this:

Inserting images in Writer Part 3

English documentation

Please specify your operating system, the LibreOffice version and the file format used.
For better support, it would be advisable if you upload a sample file with 2-3 pages here. Thank you very much.

In documents larger than 3 pages, you should work exclusively with styles. In Writer, styles are ubiquitous. They cover paragraph properties, word “decorations”, page layout, frame (image) position and relation to text and, last, list numbering set up.

If you come from M$ Word, you pratice only paragraph styles because Word has nothing else. The rest of formatting is done manually (bold, italic, font size change, …). This is called direct formatting.

Direct formatting can’t easily cope with changes caused by edits because it freezes too many parameters.

Unfortunately, mastering frame styles is one of the most difficult arts in Writer. However, this is the way to go.

I highly recommend you read the Writer Guide for an initiation to styles. You won’t find there all the details necessary to fix your problem in a jiffy. You’ll need to practice. Don’t hesitate then to ask for guidance once you stumble on tuning difficulties.