Docx files keep opening in Libre draw

Libre Office: version 6.4.7.2

Everytime I open a docx file LIbre opens it in LIbredraw.
Earlier in the day I edited a separate pdf file in Libre draw. Now, any time I try an open any other docx file, it opens in Libredraw, even if I’ve never opened it before.
Clicking the file icon directly to open it doesn’t work. Opening it from Librewriter doesn’t work.
I’m being forced to go back to using Windows just so that I can edit my documents.

Please help.

Usually your "Desktop"s settings (Cinnamon) decide wich program is called on double-click or “open” based on extension. You have to repair this there.
(Typically right click on the file and chose Open with or similiar entry and there is often also a Checkbox “like always open with this program”)

The unusual point is your telling “Opening it from Librewriter doesn’t work”.
You can’t see the file? It does not open? Error message? It opens in Draw?

… but OTOH, Draw is just a LibreOffice module, and when you try to open any file in Draw, it should check the inner file structure anyway, and open in the proper module.

E.g., trying to open locally:

soffice --draw path/to/document.docx
sdraw path/to/document.docx

both open in Writer anyway.

So is something broken in your LibreOffice profile, so that type detection is not working? Or which exact command line is executed to open the files (you should be able to use your OS process monitoring tools to tell that)?

So on further investigation, it looks like this problem is only happening with one file (just happens to be the docx file I need to use the most). Every other file with the the .docx extension is working. I tried opening the file using “Open using other application” and selecting the option to always associate .docx with LibreWriter - but that didn’t work.

In the end, my only solution was to open the file using Google docs and making a copy of it in .docx (and .odt for good measure) and giving it a different name. This seems to have worked.

Definitively something glitchy with LibreOffice because Word and GoogleDocs both opened it up correctly.

Then it would be only possible to fix the “something glitchy with LibreOffice” if you provide a sample of the problematic document to the bug tracker, so that the problem may be reproduced and fixed. Thanks!