During Import of Memo field from Access, can I preserve the paragraph format?

Hello. I want to be free of Microsoft Access, so I am trying to learn how to use Base 7.4.3.2.

I exported my table from Access to into a Calc spreadsheet, then copied all the data and Appended into my Base table. One of the fields is very long (step-by-step procedure) and used a Memo field in Access in order to preserve the multi-line paragraphs and spaces between them.

I’ve now discovered that Base has modified the format of the text in my Procedure field to eliminate all the blank lines (hard returns) between paragraphs. My text is now just one big long line, rendering the step-by-step procedure instructions unusable. :frowning_face:

Is there away to append this field again… and PRESERVE the formatting of the Hard Returns to separate the paragraphs?? (please) :grinning:

If you are trying to import data from Calc to Base directly the linebreaks won’t be imported by the wizard. Create a new database, which connects to the Calc file. You will see every sheet of Calc as table in this database file. Copying this table to Base will save the linebreaks also.

MEMO field will be the right field to show line breaks in tables in Base. VARCHAR will also save the breaks, but you couldn’t see it when opening the table. It will be shown in a form with controls, which are enabled to show linebreaks.

The wizard will only work for complete tables. If the primary key of the table you try to import and the already saved table is the same you could import the table and update the already saved table by SQL. If you haven’t the same primary key fields you have to import the complete content as a new table or delete the content of the old table and append the new content.

Hi, RobertG.
I exported the table in the Access database to an Excel file, choosing the option to preserve the formatting and layout.
I then opened the Excel file, and “Saved As” a LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet.
I then created a new database by connected to the Calc spreadsheet.
When I opened the table to view the fldProcedure field, however, it did not have the line breaks. I viewed the properties automatically created by Base when I connected to the Calc spreadsheet, and the fldProcedure field was set to Text [VarChar]. I tried to change it to “Memo” field, but it wouldn’t let me (read-only).
I may be confused: Are you saying that I can’t see the line breaks in the table… but I WILL see the line breaks when I create and view my Form for this table??
THANKS!

You could use the Excel-file or the Calc-file for this:

• Copy the table of the database, which is connected to the Calc file.

• Paste this table to the database, which is connected to the internal HSQLDB.

• In table view you will see the linebreak only in MEMO fields (you have to set height for the row).

• Create a form for your data. Set controls for VARCHAR to multiline. It will also show pagebreaks, if they have been saved in the table.