Dutch hyphenation and umlauts

LibreOffice Writer does not seem to adhere to one of the basic Dutch hyphenation rules.

In Dutch, when a word containing an umlaut (diaresis) is hyphenated just before the character containing the umlaut, the umlaut should be omitted. For example, when hyphenating “creëren” you must write “cre-eren”; “geïnd” becomes “ge-ind”, “coördinatie” becomes “co-ordinatie” etc. When hyphenating Dutch text, LibreOffice currently doesn’t omit these umlauts.

How do I make LibreOffice behave? Is there some option controlling this that I haven’t found yet? Is there an alternate hyphenation dictionary that I can use (and which does this correctly)? Is this a bug? Or maybe the developpers aren’t aware of this rule?

For the moment, I can check and fix this manually but of course it would be nice if LibreOffice would hyphenate correctly in Dutch.

You should file a bug report about this at bugzilla.

Maybe this is more an issue for LanguageTool. https://forum.languagetool.org/ I tried to add a rule to auto-correction, eg. replace -ë by -e, but that doesn’t work.

an issue I should dive in some time… The problem can be either the software, or the rules. For the latter, users can contribute.