Edit caption category in Writer

Hi all, I would ask if there a simple way to edit the category of a Caption and see the modification on the cross-reference spreaded all over the document. I know I can just type the new category in the caption, but the cross-reference will not update automatically.

I know this question is not new, but since it was closed without an integrated solution, I would reopen the issue.

Despite some attempts at clarification, I am still not sure about the main intention.
As already explained, headings captions are roughly standardized paragraphs containing TextField objects of type NumberRange. A tool is available for certain components of texts, each of which appears as Insert Caption, but may work differently depending on the circumstances. One can also create several differently named NumberRange sequences for technically similar objects.
Is it now about how NumberRange “Categories”

• to rename
  • to split or merge afterwards
  • to better coordinate the navigator sections ‘Images’, ‘Frames’, ‘Fields’.
  • to eliminate inconsistencies
  • or …

(Anyway I’m afraid automation of such tasks will require custom programming.)

Sorry if my post wasn’t clear… basically I would rename (i.e. translate) the category of the NumberRange.

As I already told in my answer below this can’t be done globally as the category in existing captions is turned into static text no longer related to the number range. Consequently you must use Edit>Find & Replace to rename the category in the existing captions. And you have to do it for every new caption based on the same number range.

To name you own category, you must first create your number range:

1. Insert>Field>More Fields, Variables tab
  2. Enter a Name like “Illustrazione”
  3. Choose the format
  4. Insert

Delete the field you just inserted as it was done only to create the number range (unless you want to generate manually a caption).

Now you can use Insert>Caption and select your “Illustrazione” category.

Thanks, I’ve got it, but I was asking for was just a simpler workflow. However, it is also clear that it doesn’t exist and it won’t exist for a while given the huge effort for the developers.

Your question is ambiguous. It can be understood as:

• how to define new caption categories?
  • how to change globally all existing captions?

You can define as many new categories as you need in the Insert>Caption dialog. Once the new category exists in the document, it can be reused at will.

Answer to the second question is negative. Insert>Caption is done through macros or equivalent inserting the category as static text, not as a field. Consequently, there is no way to change an existing caption text centrally.

Thank you, you clarified what I mean! So, if I understand correctly, the editing of a categories is a feature that we will not see in the near future. Right?

I can’t answer for developers, but such a feature needs a redesign of captioning and I don’t think it is that easy because you didn’t consider all the implications. There are two components in a caption: category text and counter. Usually, when you intend to change category, you also want to use another counter for the new category otherwise your numbering is inconsistent (two categories under same counter). And we’re back to the initial problem: replacing a field with another one, the same as for category text.

1 Like

Understood, thanks for your time!

I’m sorry to return to this issue, but I was wondering if there are news about this topic.

This feature would be very helpful since I have to translate documents, and I wouldn’t lose the cross-referenced image categories.

I know this work requires a major revision, but I think it is an important feature for a multi-language program. Moreover, the issue was already raised long ago in 2014, so I would kindly ask developers to consider this feature.

As far as cross-references are concerned, there is no impact. The presence of a number range (see the list in Insert>Field>More Fields, Variables tab, Type Number range) in a paragraph identifies it as a “caption”.

Therefore, assuming you’re editing your original file, translating the paragraphs, as long as you keep the same number range, the cross-references remain valid.

Personally, I’d rather work with two files: the original one (if possible in read-only mode to avoid modifying it) and a new one where I’s write the translation. This 2-files workflow allows IMHO more versatility and freedom. Of course, there is slightly more work because you must re-insert the fields, but you take more easily into account the differences in language grammar.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is a good workaround and a good workflow, but, in general, editing that category remains a reasonable nice-to-have feature.