Embedding video in Impress

Hi all,
I’m using LO 7.2.7 on Windows 11. I’m trying to embed some videos into a presentation. MP4s don’t work, but AVI & WMV do. However, when I close and reopen the presentation the video is missing and I just have a blank slide. Same if I link the video file. How can I stop this from happening as I need to close the file to share with colleagues, put it on a flash drive for in-person meetings etc.?
Thanks, M

EDIT @Hrbrgr, Bug taken from comment by @mfwyatt75:

tdf#149403

Audio or Video

Media Support

Insert Video in Impress Presentation

Thanks Hrbrgr for the links. I’ve installed the extra codecs and now mp4 files work as well, when just viewing the slide in writing mode and in slide show mode, so inserting the files isn’t/was never the issue. However, the embedding problem still remains - close the presentation and reopen it and the videos aren’t there anymore, just a blank space on a slide where they used to be. This situation is really frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a Windows 11 thing? Thanks, M

An update on this issue. I’ve used an old laptop with Powerpoint 2007 on it to add a video to my Impress file. It played fine and remained embedded once I’d closed and reopened the file in Powerpoint - great. However, when I reopened the file in Impress the video was now a static image and wouldn’t play - aarrrrgggghhhh! :sob: Any other thoughts/solutions, please? :pray:
Thanks M

1 Like

Now unfortunately I have a similar problem.
After embedding a short mp4 video and reloading the file, nothing happens when I start the slide show. A short flare otherwise nothing.
If I select the video icon and let the media playback run, the video is played in the slide show. But it starts first after about 5-6 seconds. You can test it if you like.

My Dropbox folder

IMHO this is a bug and should be registered on Bugzilla.

How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice

Possible workaround:
If you have the possibility to work with a screecast program, you can record your presentation and insert a desired video. (it’s just a small idea)

With me:
Version: 7.3.3.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d1d0ea68f081ee2800a922cac8f79445e4603348
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE
Calc: CL

Addendum:

I have re-encoded my video with the converter “XMedia Recode”.
I.e. from MP4 to MP4.
The video now runs without problems right at the first start of the slide show.

OK thanks. will report bug and try XMedia Recode. Cheers, M.

This still isn’t working for me. I’ve reported the issue via Bugzilla. M

Please post the link from the bug here.
format: tdf#(nnnnnn) without bracket; (use only the number, not the link)
To do this, edit your initial question. Thank you.

1 Like

As requested (I hope). tdf#149403

1 Like