Endnotes, manual control -- how can I get the endnotes out of a document as a document?

hi,

I’d like to publish the endnotes “manually”, that is, “grab” what I see (select all + copy doesn’t work as a method)… and use it as a text document… and edit it…
divide it into sections, etc, etc…

I am aware that the endnote STYLE applied to endnotes is like “notes” (side notes), that is, anchored in the document body… which means that what we “see” as endnotes, is just a “virtual” thing… cause all the text that is there is actually within the document body…

so, a structure like this:
I’ve picked a great deal of apples[1] today in our garden.

1. apple is a fruit growing on apple trees

would be accomplished like this:

I’ve picked a great deal of apples[note-1 style:notes ID:1 text: apple is a fruit growing on apple trees] today in our garden

I mean, something like that :slight_smile:

I remember once being able to copy and paste an entire document into an editor (HTML WUSIWUG editor), and the endnotes would be there, only arabic numbers would be replaced with their original “romans”…

:::::::
so my question is:
is there a way to safely and neatly (or even in an ugly way) get the endnotes as a “page” or “document” ?

thanks very much,

Peter

1 Like

That didn’t work for me, sadly.

2 Likes

Removed my wrong answer. Thanks @anon87010807

1 Like

I was trying to write a macro to achieve this, then found a very old thread where, of all people, I asked help doing just that. https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5176. Must be getting old. :frowning:

2 Likes

@ floris_v: thank you for your kind answer!
exporting to EPUB seems easier, but your method is very probably the way to go…
I mean, for the developers…

I hope they might catch on this one day!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

thanks very much!

Peter

Export as XHTML or EPUB Document, open the resulting file, and copy from there. The format may be lost.

1 Like

hi,
this really works… I tried the EPUB export, and then opened it with viewer, and it was there, and I could select all and copy…
it works, and even the arabic number format remains…

very happy with this…
I hope this solves the problem* for others, too… (*problem: not trouble but challenge :slight_smile: )

thanks very much!

1 Like