Error "unable to insert rows" when linking to external data

Hello, I am using the Link to External data function on most of my sheets that need to link to an inventory that is stored in a Master file.

So I have set up a Data Range in the Master file and am linking each other document to this external data. For a while this has worked quite well, but lately some docs display the following error message “unable to insert rows” and there are a couple of cells that in fact show the following: The link could not be updated.

How do I rectify this? I have tried resetting the master file data range and calling it with a different name. I have also made sure there are no frozen rows/columns in either sheets, have removed any data filtering, i neither sheets and have closed any possible “Find” windows.
I really cannot think of what else to do. Any help greatly appreciated as I am running all my indie business relying on this.

Thanks
Fi

Please clarify this point - what type of files are that unsuccessfully trying to get data from the Master file? (not Excel 97-2003?) And which program? (version?)

I am using only LibreOffice Calc documents:
Version: 7.0.3.1 (x64)
Build ID: d7547858d014d4cf69878db179d326fc3483e082
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 18363; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

I had to ask. Calc not so long ago switched to long sheets, more than a million rows. Previously, like Excel-2003, it used much shorter (and narrow) sheets. I remember that the message about the impossibility of inserting a row then (during the transition to a new program and new file formats) I received very often.

I see! I’m not a genius on these things, but I have been always been able to get by and sort things out on excel and Calc, but here I really don’t know what to do and I’m even thinking of recreating all links through vlookups instead… tedious!