Errors running UPDATE queries

System: Windows 10, LO 7.2.2.2 (x64), Firebird

Ref question in 2016:

REQUIREMENT
I have two tables, MARKEDREGISTER & FULLREGISTER which are largely identical structurally, with matching primary keys (“NamePostCodeYearType”). MARKEDREGISTER is a subset of rows in FULLREGISTER where Boolean column “MARKEDREGISTER”.“Voted” = TRUE. I need to replicate (i.e. UPDATE) the TRUE values from “MARKEDREGISTER”.“Voted” to “FULLREGISTER”.“Voted” where the keys match.

PROBLEM
I get errors whichever way I try to run this query. I have read what I can find regarding these errors on the forum, to no avail. Can someone please either tell me what I’m getting wrong, or give me some code that works.

I have tried:

1. UPDATE “FULLREGISTER”
    SET “FULLREGISTER”.“Voted” = “MARKEDREGISTER”.“Voted”
    JOIN “FULLREGISTER” ON “MARKEDREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType” =
    “FULLREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType”
    WHERE “FULLREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType” =
    “MARKEDREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType”

This gives “syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting BETWEEN or IN or SQL_TOKEN_LIKE” in the Base Query GUI and when run directly. Embedded in a macro, I get c, although the text colouring appears to indicate the syntax is OK.

1. MERGE INTO “FULLREGISTER”
    USING “MARKEDREGISTER”
    ON “MARKEDREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType” =
    “FULLREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType”
    WHEN MATCHED THEN
    UPDATE
    SET “FULLREGISTER”.“Voted” = “MARKEDREGISTER”.“Voted”

This gives “syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting BETWEEN or IN or SQL_TOKEN_LIKE” in the GUI, “firebird_sdbc error:
*Cursor is not open, caused by ‘isc_dsql_fetch’” when run directly and the same “Basic syntax error, Expected:”." in a macro.

1. Finally, I tried adapting Ratslinger’s solution for koolninja in 2016 and to run it via a macro:
    Sub RunUpdateSQL
    Dim oStatement As Object
    Dim sSQL As String
    if IsNull(Thisdatabasedocument.CurrentController.ActiveConnection) then
    Thisdatabasedocument.CurrentController.connect
    endif
    oStatement =
    Thisdatabasedocument.CurrentController.ActiveConnection.createStatement()
    sSQL = “UPDATE ““FULLREGISTER”” SET ““FULLREGISTER””.”“Voted”" =" &_
    " (SELECT ““MARKEDREGISTER””."“Voted”" FROM ““MARKEDREGISTER””" &_
    " WHERE
    ““MARKEDREGISTER””."“NamePostCodeYearType”"="“FULLREGISTER”"."“NamePostCodeYearType”"" &_
    " GROUP BY ““MARKEDREGISTER””."“NamePostCodeYearType”")"
    oStatement.executeUpdate( sSQL )
    End Sub

This gives the error “*Invalid expression in the select list (not contained in either an aggregate function or the GROUP BY clause)”

NOTE: Just thought to substitute “MARKEDREGISTER”.“Voted” for “FULLREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType” in the GROUP BY - AND IT WORKS!

Sorry if I’ve wasted anyone’s time with this. But I’ll post anyway in case it’s of use to someone else.

Already put this in main question, but just for closure:

NOTE: Just thought to substitute “MARKEDREGISTER”.“Voted” for “FULLREGISTER”.“NamePostCodeYearType” in the GROUP BY - AND IT WORKS!