Excel files corrupts opened in Calc

I have a spreadsheet originating from Excel 2007 as an XLS then finally saved as an XLSX. There are no macros and nothing too terribly complicated I feel. Lots of formulas with basic math like a typical spreadsheet. It is my annual household budget with a tab for each month. One month’s left over money gets carried to the following month (that is the most “complicated” formula IMO).

My next computer will be a Mac so I want to get use to using Libre full-time but keep things in Microsoft format for compatible with other people and systems. Opening this file in Calc and saving as a XLSX makes the file unreadable/unrecoverable. If I open in Calc and save as ODS it works just fine.

Any hints on what to look at to resolve this? I’ve contemplated doing a new file in Clac from scratch and saving it to see what happens.

LibreOffice works best with ODS format so for your internal use that format is always preferred.

If you want to “keep things in Microsoft format for compatible with other people and systems” then xls is better than xlsx. It has been around for longer and the compatibility with other spreadsheets (LibreOffice Calc included) is more proven.

That said, saving as a MS format (or any format) should NEVER corrupt data. If it does then you could contribute to improve this office suite by preparing an example file, and do a step-by-step report at

https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/

Thank you. After posting last night I attempted a file from scratch in Calc saved as a XLSX and am still having the same issue. Not sure corrupt is the correct description. The file when opened is all messed up visually making the file unusable in Libra and unable to open in Excel. Beginning to think it may have something to do with Windows | Freeze. Will do a bit more testing this week including the XLS suggestion above and report back.