Excel to calc spreadsheets

I’ve been using LibreOffice for 4 or 5 years. On Saturday I updated my spreadsheet as normal but on Monday when I opened it it had turned into an excel spreadsheet! and I couldn’t insert a new sheet or amend the current one until I bought Microsoft Office. I had a look back a previous spreadsheet from previous months and they have all become Excel. (all my text documents have similarly turned into Word documents). I have absolutely no idea how this happened or how to correct it…anyone experienced this and found an answer?
thanks in advance.

I’m not using Windows myself, but it’s probably only that the file name extension (.xlsx ? .ods ?) was assigned to MS-Office instead of LibreOffice and thus the icon displayed is different and the default to open with is now MS-Office (“turned into an excel spreadsheet” most likely is not the case and there was no need to buy MS-Office). Microsoft likes to play such tricks on the user with some Windows updates.

Someone here can probably tell how to reassign LibreOffice as the default program to open with to several file name extensions used by LibreOffice.

1 Like

… and that someone will be Microsoft :slight_smile:

@dons8321, try step 2. b. (by link) for Excel, Word, …
Or use 2. a. for *.ods, *.odt, *.xlsx, …

Another way is here.

1 Like

It should also be possible to use the Installer for LibreOffice again to “repair” install. During my (custom) installs I’m asked, if LibreOffice shall be registered also for MS-Office files as default handler.
One additional note: The icons show only the default software to be opened, ehen you double click the file. You can always use the context-menu of the file with by clicking with the right mouse button and select “Open With…” to select another program. (This dialogue had also an option to make your selection persistent: Always open with this software).

1 Like