When using the Export as PDF… feature of Writer (LibO 184.108.40.206, on Windows 8.1 64bit) and by opening the generated .pdf with Adobe Acrobat Reader, the reader pops up a message telling me “Cannot extract the embedded font ‘CAAAAA+LiberationSerif’. Some characters may not display or print correctly.”. Using the toolbar shortcut icon to generate the .pdf file makes no difference.
Similar issues (but not related to LibO) are reported on Adobe forums, mentioning other fonts; at the same time, by opening the same .pdf with Foxit Reader, no error is reported – so at first glance this may sound like an Adobe product problem.
However: if I use another program to generate the .pdf file from the same .odt document (by using the Print… menu command and then using something like PDFCreator “printer”), Adobe Acrobat Reader no longer reports any error. Unfortunately, I cannot use this option to generate the .pdf file, because the document has several footnotes, of which the references in text (the overscript numbers) are automatically converted as hyperlinks on .pdf file generated directly via LibO (which points to respective footnotes), but no hyperlinks are created on .pdf file generated with third party programs.
By changing the overall document font with Times New Roman, Adobe Acrobat Reader no longer reports any error.
I replaced the default LiberationSans font with the latest from Font Squirrel | Liberation Serif Font Free by Red Hat (and then restarted the system); no difference.
I installed OpenOffice 4.1.6 in parallel on same system; using there the Eport to PDF… menu command on same .odt document, Adobe Acrobat Reader no longer reports any error.