File|Recent Documents can no longer be accessed via keystrokes

Is it just me?
I had to reinstall my OS last month, so this is a new installation, and I do not know how old my previous LibreOffice install was.

I am unable to use keystrokes to access the Recent Documents list. Previously, [Alt+F],U would display the most recently accessed documents, but there is now only a 0.5 second window in which the ‘U’ can be pressed, before the File|New sub-menu appears, disabling the ability to keystroke-select the Recent Documents option on the File menu.

Ubuntu 24.04
LibreOffice 24.2.6.2 (X86_64)/LibreOffice Community

so where is the ‘U’ going ?

I don’t reproduce the problem.
Even though the submenu is indeed shown, this sequence works as expected:

1. Press and hold Alt
  2. Press and release F
  3. Release Alt
  4. Press and release U

A can wait as long as needed between e.g. step 3 and 4.
On the other hand, if I skip step 3, step 4 doesn’t work.
This works the same e.g. in Gnumeric with GTK, where their Format menu starting with an item with submenu.

But of course, could be specific to Ubuntu version (mine is 22.04.5 LTS), or e.g. use of Wayland (none here), or maybe even LO version.

Version: 24.8.1.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 480(Build:2)
CPU threads: 24; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (C.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 4:24.8.1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~lo1
Calc: threaded

When pressing [Alt=F], the File options are displayed, but the top option of New is auto-selected. The menu system takes around a half-second to expand the New’s sub-menu, and during that delay, pressing ‘U’ can activate Recent Documents.

Longer than that 0.5s, and the New sub-menu is displayed; any keystroke from then onward is processed for that menu, and ‘U’ isn’t a valid option there, so nothing happens if you press ‘U’ too slowly.

almost :innocent:
you can use :arrow_right: + U as a workaround.
:arrow_up: :arrow_left: :arrow_down: seem to work fine too.

:+1:

Sorry: I do not understand. Can you explain this in a different way?

when the New submenu is displayed, the arrow keys work,
so Alt+F :arrow_down: U or Alt+F :arrow_up: U will bring the Recent documents sub menu.

Note : also weird, keeping Alt+F make the menu File disappear.
Firefox doesn’t show this problem. So, not sure if it’s ubuntu or gnome or LO

1 Like

As this is on Ubuntu, I’ve posted this as at bugs.launchpad as well:

I now realize that the issue affects all of the File menu’s options, not only Recent Documents. They’re all blocked.